Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maverick77

Johnson 1941 rifle serial number request

8 posts in this topic

Dear Johnson lovers, I have finally got my hands on this rare bird, mine is serial number 0400.  Can you please give me some detail about it?  Thanks!

Congrats on your new find and also on the low serial number!! 

I found mine just a few weeks back and was able to locate a correct bayonet with scabbard from a shop in Idaho, also bought the Canfield book which is a must have.

Look forward to seeing the results on your serial number.  

Tom

Any photos would help. Also strongly recommend you purchase Canfield's "Johnson's Rifles & Machine Guns" now in its 2nd printing. Tells a lot about those rifles.

Here is the data on JSAR #0400

Received from Cranston Arms  Not listed

Stock #not listed

Bbl #848E

Hammer block #0365

Hammer #0619

Bolt #1131

Locking cam #220

Firing pin #847

Extractor #805

Magazine #0663 

Transferred to NPC 10/1/41

This rifle likely made it to the Dutch East Indies before the Japanese

Hi Mr Alpert, after stripping my 1941 all apart and get it cleaned, I checked all the parts, and I was really glad to find it is all matching except the barrel assy ( 1033E ) and the magazine that is 5563.  The finish on the magazine looks like the same as the overall rifle, so I have doubt that it has been replaced.  Could have been a typo error on the serial number you have on file?  Also, do you know where I can find a good barrel for it, mine is worn out.  Thanks!  

DSCN9251.JPG

DSCN9255.JPG

Doubt the typo error.  #s were hand written, not typed,  Magazine may have been dented and rendered unusable and thus replaced.  JSARs which presumably saw action in the Indies usually have poor bores as the ammo used was corrosive and the jungle made cleaning and maintenance difficult.  Replacement bbls are hard to come by.  Decent originals in 30/06 often go for over $1000, 7mm for $750 (although a 7mm just went for $1350 on Ebay)  Aftermarket replacements are occasionally available.  I may have a few.  Email me for what I have. <brian.alpert.Louisville.edu>