Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Alpert

$9000 JSAR

10 posts in this topic

I just hope the buyer didn't focus in on the statement in the description "only 3000 manufactured." Still, a very nice rifle.

I would have thought that only an as-issued serial matching Jsar would demand such money. I did not see that mentioned. Not even a bayonet? 

I too hope the the "winning bidder" did not focus on "Highly sought after by Collectors,only 3000 manufactured". That was very deceiving by the seller. I can just imagine what might happen if the winner joins this forum, maybe finds that all parts do not match as shipped, and learns that possibly over 20k were actually made. While it is a nice looking rifle, just the same....$$$$. Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If the pictures are good, the fact that is color is too uniform on all parts, raises doubts concerning refinishing.    Varius parts that would normally show black are too gray.   Glad to see prices increasing again.

The seller is a well known US martial arms dealer.....quality stuff at top dollar.  A few years ago, a big time collector in Indiana  committed suicide and his arsenal was auctioned off to FFL holders only.  C&Rs were not accepted.  Among the items were 10 or 12 JSARs which went for $7-8 thousand each.  We were all amazed that dealers would pay so much and apparently 1 dealer, this seller, got most of them.  I know him fairly well.  He usually deals with lists to exclusive buyers.

I've followed this seller for ~2+ years -- he lists about 15 new guns every week, reportedly all from one "large 40+ year old collection" (the Indiana collection??) -- and I have even bought a couple things. Great guy to deal with and he has awesome listings for sure, but I have noticed a very clear trend of regular repeat bidders/buyers, and based on non-scientific observations, I think his followers have gotten into a habit of over-bidding against each other leading to his realized prices often being notably above market across all types of guns (can you say "$3,000+ Colt Huntsman"?). But great business for him for sure!   

He has buyers who are more interested in quality from a reputable dealer than price.  To a few, the money is not as important as the prospect of not being cheated with a fake.  This is especially prevalent in the art world.

"You can't take it with you".....unless you think you'll need extra protection because of where you think you'll end up......  : - ))