Followers 0
Brian Alpert

JSAR on GB

7 posts in this topic

Congrats Brian! You got a nice price.

Wayne

So did the buyer.  It was the real deal

This new entry is still holding at $2,500.00

Question on the Chilean Johnson. I know the barrel is 7 mm and the barrels are interchangeable. Will this Johnson fire a 30.06 bullet by just changing to 30.06 barrel? Or do other parts have to change? I should know this.Don't at least some of Chilean contract have crest on receiver? . Thanks

One only has to change the bbl to 30/06, 270, 308, 8mmMauser, 35 Whelan, etc (all but 30/06 being Winfield or other custom gunsmith variations). 

The crested JSARs are all fakes....at least the crests were added later by entrepreneurs. The most famous (or infamous) were the "W" crested Queens Guard carbines.  I also have a LMG Look-a-like with a Mexican crest.  There were also reported to be French crests although I have never seen one.  There is nothing particularly unique about the Chilean JSARs except the 7mm caliber,  the bayonet sheath and the Dutch pattern sling.  Some have muzzle covers added later.

I pulled the rifle and bayonet from the auction for lack of interest.  I did not want to take the chance of someone grabbing it for $2500.  This is a practically mint investment grade JSAR with mint bayonet and Dutch pattern sling.  It is worth in excess of $6500.  The one I sold 2 weeks ago for $5900 + was not quite as nice and I thought the market was ripe with the one going for $7700 a month ago.  I may put it up later, without the history and with a 30/06 bbl instead.