Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimbocious

Firing Pin Assembly for sale???

6 posts in this topic

My JSAR has been slam-firing and upon inspection I found that the washer behind the firing pin spring is no longer in a captured position which allows the washer to slide back and the pin to slide forward with the force of the recoil.    Rather than try to fashion a clip of some sort behind the washer I was hoping to buy a replacement firing pin assembly, but Numrich and Sarco have none in stock.  Any members able to come to the rescue for market price???

Thanks,

Jim

Well, now I'm not convinced that this is precisely the problem. Although the washer will push back off the notches to the back end of the pin when I have it out of the bolt, it appears that this should not be possible when it's installed as the bolt housing stops the washer from going back.  But, because both the notches that are supposed to capture the washer, and the washer itself, are ragged and a bit sheared, I'm wondering if on occasion the washer hangs up on it with the pin forward on recoil causing the slam fire.  Will keep evaluating but any thoughts appreciated.   

A loose washer can cause slam firing as the pin is not retracted (too far forward).  Set the washer in position and using a small cold chisel, dimple metal back into the firing pin grooves.  Use care not to split the ring.  I was never able to find anything to replace the washer nor anyone to make them.  Do not grease the firing pin, only use very light oil or it will not retract properly.

I had the same issue when I first broke down mine for cleaning. Think it was here that I saw a fix. Someone suggested squeezing the washer with pliers to push it into the notches in the splines of the firing pin. Tried it and it's held for years. It is a softer metal, so you need to be careful, make sure it stays round and has no burs. I think Miltech solders them in place during restoration...could be wrong about that. 

OK, thanks Joe and Dash, sounds like I am on the right track, and I will see about your suggested fixes. To confirm what I think you are saying, the washer should be solidly fixed in place around the grooves with no back or forth movement possible, right?

I think there are two sets of those notches on the firing pin. The one near the middle is where the washer should go...and yes, no back and forth movement. Don't close up the hole in the washer for the FP spring as it has a little finger on the back that goes into that hole. Refer to the linky below, number 8.

http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/disassembly.htm