Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greerhw

Johnson rifle for sale

6 posts in this topic

It will be interesting to hear what others have to say about the "condition" of this rifle... there are  a couple areas that have me wondering

Okay, I will come right out and say: it looks like someone used a sledge hammer on the front sight/bayonet lug & pins and front of barrel looks like both were forced on/off. I have other issues, but that is the main one. Also, I doubt seriously if the "stock repair" was done by/in an arsenal repair facility, as claimed.

I really hate it when the "armory" repair "technicians" don't make the slightest attempt to match the grain in those repair "plugs" what-so-ever!

I'm not even sure why they would use plugs where they did. Maybe they thought the "cheeks" were going to fall off? Perhaps Loctite Super Glue hadn't been invented back then. (or maybe those were bullet holes?)

Even so, I think they had the old time glue made from defunct race horses.....even "Elmers Glue" would probably have worked? Glue it ....put the stock in a wood vice and let it dry.

The "plugs" in Winfield Sporter stocks, which hide the recoil key for the recoil buffer tube, are sometime done so well that an untrained eye can't find them.

I sort of wish I had a chance to do a proper repair to that stock just to show how it's supposed to be done.

Of course I did notice the "fit" of the buttplate and that brass screw. Even as shaky as my old hands are, I wouldn't butcher the taper pins in the front sight and bayonet lug!

Other than those very minor  flaws......The rifle could be an extraordinary specimen. Nothing there which can't be fixed. That sling is not a cheepie either and I'd love to have it.