cozmo

Bayonets, real??

11 posts in this topic

Cosmo,

I'm not the expert but they have most of the characteristics of being original. I could guess a bit better if you posted a side view so we could see the depth of the arch in the spring.

20180608_154849.jpg

12 minutes ago, M48TANKER said:

Cosmo,

I'm not the expert but they have most of the characteristics of being original. I could guess a bit better if you posted a side view so we could see the depth of the arch in the spring.

Thx

I, too, am not an expert but they appear original to me.

I vote for authenticity. There are some differences between the two in the manufacturing process used. In your last picture, the side view, the flatter shape of the spring looks like the originals.  However there are "machining" marks on the one on the right that are not apparent on the one on the left.

Now a question for the real experts: Were all Johnson bayonets made by the same manufacturer, in same fashion, using the same methods and materials? From the pictures it would seem that they were not

20180608_154849.jpg

Hey Harry,

Thanks, that the best reference we have. I've almost worn that link out over the years. There are just some bayonets that don't follow all the rules. I do know that at one time Sarco was selling the reproduced bayonets that were well done and they listed them as reproductions. Numrich also sold the domed rivets and proper flatter arched spring. So these two areas could be modified. The muzzle ring can be much heavier on the reproductions also. The spring latch has a couple of "ears" that are usually square cut on the repros and more rounded on the originals. The way the rivet is peened can be altered too.

When a bayonet meets every criteria and the sheath does also, it's usually easy to pronounce them as original. There are just some that are ever so slightly off. These are the ones that cause me to wonder.

Reproduction Johnson bayonet.JPG

Obvious repro.JPG

Questionable bayonet on left.jpgc

Two Johnson Bayonets.jpg

After completely refreshing my memory: I now pronounce these two bayonets to be Originals (in my humble opinion.....for what that's worth)