Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Alpert

Crested JSARs

2 posts in this topic

With the recent posts on "matching", I thought I might reinforce Ed's comment on matching.  A "matching" JSAR means that it has the numbered parts (not matching) original to the rifle when it left the factory.  They were not the same number!  If it is a "no prefix" rifle, we chan get the correct numbers from the log.

Perhaps the most infamous "fake" JSARs were the so called "Queen's Guard Carbines"  This JSAR is a unique configuration called a “crest” rifle among Johnson collectors. The “W” crest engraved on this rifle stands for Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands in 1941. This rifle, sometimes referred to as a “Queens Guard Carbine”, has a short 19” barrel and matching numbers on receiver, bolt and barrel. 

These rifles were refurbished / assembled by “OLD BENECIA ARSENAL” in the early 1970’s with parts from Winfield Arms.   Winfield had acquired surplus rifles from the Dutch, parts from Numrich Arms and sold reworked and/or sporterized  JSARs in the 50’s and 60’s.  Indeed,most JSARs today were originally sold by Winfield.

There is no record that a configuration such as this was originally produced by Johnson Automatics. 

Joseph Scott and I each have Crested Carbines.  There are thought to be a few more around.  There are also Mexican Crested LMGs and reported French Crests although I have never seen one.

For your enjoyment!

Crest.03.jpg

DSCN2378.jpg

DSCN2386.jpg

DSCN2388.jpg

DSCN2389.jpg

DSCN2396.jpg

DSCN2398.jpg

I would love to have one of the carbines, just because i have seen only one years ago.

At the time i was to young and unknowledgeable and $3000 was alot of money.

Brian: I have only heard of or seen a Mexican crest through you, but i wouldn't mind one of those either :)

Thanks for the heads up info, there are still alot of guys out there that believe the Guard story.

Ryche