Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roverboy

Any butt plates out there?

12 posts in this topic

I've looked on Numrich and Sarco. Both don't have any, and Springfield Sporters seems to be closed or something. Thanks.

7 hours ago, ryche_me said:

Joe Scott Has really good repos. I have had one of his on my Para carbine for years.

Ryche

I sent him a message on Tuesday but, haven't received an answer yet.

21 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

Roverboy, I might have one left? I'll look for it and try to let you know.

Thanks, M48TANKER.

Yeah, its odd. The bottom screw that's in the butt plate does not come out. They put a door on it that leads to nowhere. No compartment drilled in stock. I saw a documentary on the Winchester House and it had doors like that. Lol.

The 1939 drawing of the Johnson stock showed a door to a drilled hole.  This was probably intended for tools if sold to the US military.  The Dutch did not see a need for tools and ordered a solid butt plate to keep down costs.  However the stocks were produced with the "tool" hole and another  hole to lighten the weight of rifle.  No tools were ever installed at the factory.  Some have been added by various owners.  Saw one posting showing a British tool set as "original Johnson", not so.

7 hours ago, Joseph Scott said:

The 1939 drawing of the Johnson stock showed a door to a drilled hole.  This was probably intended for tools if sold to the US military.  The Dutch did not see a need for tools and ordered a solid butt plate to keep down costs.  However the stocks were produced with the "tool" hole and another  hole to lighten the weight of rifle.  No tools were ever installed at the factory.  Some have been added by various owners.  Saw one posting showing a British tool set as "original Johnson", not so.

Thanks, thats some good info, Joe. From what I can gather my rifle was one of the Dutch that was apparently bought back.