Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtR

SN 1100 on GunBroker

5 posts in this topic

This is definitely one of the carbines that I produced after Dad passed away. It looks to be in very good shape. It was our model # 5772 with a 5 round magazine.

I was the buyer. The carbine is much nicer than I thought it would be. It looked like there was a chip in the stock & butt plate but it was some glue that came off with a finger nail. The left side of the stock looks like it had something drizzled on it that took some of the finish off. Again it looks much better than in the pictures. All metal is in mint condition.

I'm still in shock at what I was able to buy it for. I don't understand why an original Johnson Spitfire would sell for 665.00 and an IAI bring over 1200.00 a couple of days later.  I'm happy about it - VERY HAPPY.

This is my third Johnson, I have a mint condition B series Model 1941, a mint condition Johnson Automatics barreled Mauser in .270 Win. and now the Spitfire that I've looked for for years. I would love to find an MMJ short barrel Spitfire and if I can come up with an extra 50K a light machine gun. I also have an OTT custom TC Contender barrel chambered for 5.7 MMJ.

I would love to know the production numbers on the Spitfire. Canfield's book has very little information on the Spitfire and none on production other than years.

If you haven't seen it, here is a link to the NRA video on the Spitfire - it is number 1001

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/2/17/video-57-mm-johnson-spitfire-carbine/

Jeed, you got yourself a rare piece at a very low price. Congratulations!

The 12" short-barreled Police model will probably never be found. Two of Dad's died in house fires. I do not know if the New Haven CT PD would still have the three that they purchased back in the 1960's. Muzzle velocity was around 2650 FPS versus close to 3000 from 18" normal barrels.

Total production of all Spitfires was less than 200. Your number 1100 would have been towards the end of production. Final assembly was in a large custom gun facility in Hope Valley, Rhode Island which is described in the book from info that I provided.

If you are shooting the gun, use caution to make sure that the bullet is not so much fatter than the bore as to cause problems. Measure it carefully. If you give me your E-mail, I can send you our "5.7 Club" info. Write me at  edwardrjohnson610@gmail.com   (E D W A R D R J O H N S O N 6 1 0)   use lower case. Some folks miss the little "r" in the middle....   :-)     

Thanks also for the link on the Spitfire video. I don't have any problem with the various comments. Dad was ahead of his time, but we tried anyway.    Ed J