Orlando

New Johnson Owner

10 posts in this topic

I found this rifle the other day,these are the sellers picturesI should have it in hand sometime this week The forearm is cracked but hopefully I can get it repaired. Is also missing a screw by the trigger group. What is this screw called and where can I find a original? Pin on mag cover looks like it is working out , other than that it appears to be in good condition. Any comments, see any red flags? I am a Garand guy these rifles are all new to me

The guy I purchased it from said it was his Dads who bought it 50 years ago. He only fired it a few times with him 

414112343.jpg
Missing screw
414112363.jpg
414112355.jpg
414112358.jpg
414112360.jpg
414112367.jpg
414112347.jpg
414112348.jpg
414112349.jpg
414112350.jpg
Forearm is cracked
414112351.jpg
414112354.jpg
414112359.jpg

414123564.jpg

414112357.jpg

Came with a few spare parts

414123140.jpg 

From what I can see, looks like a decent JSAR with an original bbl.  Magazine retaining pin is in backwards.  It is supposed to be inserted from the forearm side.  Remove the forearm, pull the pin and while holding the magazine in position with the magazine and receiver lugs lined up, push the pin in from the front, turn the flat end into the receiver and replace the forearm.

I appreciate the info guys. Does it look like original finish or has it been reparked?

I have always wanted one but never wanted to shell out the $$$ for it. Paid $4000 shipped/insured, was in my price range so I grabbed it

Thanks again guys

Congratulations on your new purchase! The mag has been refinished. 

I think you did good on the price. It could be a repark job but, I wouldn't worry about that. There's so few of these old rifles around. A lot were messed with by Winfield too.

I have a used forearm stock in fairly good condition. It has a few small dings and dents. I can furnish you pictures if interested.  You can have it for $35 plus shipping if you can't get yours repaired. Email addy, hgreer2@cox.net

Harry

I think one of the best things about this site, other than the fact it concerns weapons built by my father (!), is the helpful interchange between collectors, and the above is a perfect example of this. Wish Dad was still alive to see it. At the age of 78, I'm grateful that I can.

The magazine door pin should have the bent end (tab) turned inward.  There is a small recess in end of stock for the tab. It appears that you need a recoil key for the fore end.   Forearms don't normally split unless the bottom screws are over tightened.  Each of the stock screws should have a flat washer against the wood and an internal star washer between the head and flat washer  Without the lock washer the screws loosen and owners kept tightening them, hence split wood.  I have recoil keys w/screws and stock screws with washers for $15/set.  Extra washers are $1 ea.  The split fore arm can be repaired with super glue which penetrates crack like penetrating oil.   There were three different magazine appearances.  Some polished, some "blackened" and some painted (to hide brazing which leaked out of joint).  Same thing with rear sights.  Johnson barrels usually have very tight muzzles because they were not cleaned with the jointed GI cleaning rod. Bad bores are common due to corrosive ammo of the period.  If the serial number has no front letter, information on date of production and assembled parts may be available. Overall a nice buy.

Guys I want to thank each of you for your help and your offers. Once the rifle is in my hand I will know better what parts I will need.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and helping a new Johnson owner