Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Orlando

Forend Screw Spacer?

5 posts in this topic

I have my Johnson tore down and am cleaning oiling parts, its a very interesting rifle. Seems complicated at first but not bad once you get the hang of it. I couldnt imagine doing this is the field through

I see on the Numrich site they list a forearm screw spacer,https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1072490 

Is this something I need? The forearm on this rifle was cracked in several places, maybe this is the reason? I cant figure where it would even go, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help guys

I have an idea what their image is showing.  The stock screws normally have an internal star washer next to the head and then a special flat washer which threads onto the screw next to the wood.  If you look at the screws, they have the threads cut away near the head, which allows the threaded washer to rotate and  remain stationary against the wood , when tightening.  Being threaded on, prevents loss of the two washers. A few early screws were slotted for a fiber insert to prevent loosening, similar to Nylock screws,  It only worked  for one time and they went to the reuseable lock washer arrangement.  The image may be for one of these early inserts. I have seen one or two early insert screws which were never installed due to unsatisfactory loosening.  Sometimes you see a screw with insert still in the slot but can't tell its original purpose as the fiber matches the threads.   If you want that arrangement, cut a piece of flat Nylon slightly wider than screw diameter in addition to lock washers.

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it. None of the screws on my rifle have the lock washers, sounds like I need to find some

I bought my star washers and correct screws from Joe Scott a couple of years ago. They work great! Prior to obtaining them, I could not keep the stock tight. They are a must have.