Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GLeal

New Member Bayonet and barrel question

9 posts in this topic

Hello New member and new owner of a Johnson Automatic. Probably like most new guys [i'm 61] I am trying to locate a replica bayonet. All the real ones I have watched have zoomed over 500 $ 

I was given a sporter barrel with the rifle which has a circle with an S and a W superimposed in the circle which is located on the side of the single blade front site. Any ideas what this is? Thanks I'm certainly glad to have joined.

Welcome aboard.

Be patient on the bayonet subject. In the interim, check with SARCO in PA to see if they have any replicas or possibly some in less desirable condition.

Ed J

Thanks Ed, Im afraid Sarco is not taking any back orders, Meaning I guess no more manufactured. Numreich had them a while ago ... no more.  Also Sportsmans Guide use to sell them but no longer.  Any thoughts on my extra barrel? thanks for your response.

GLeal: With regard to the 'extra' barrel, try posting a couple photos, especially one showing the details for the barrel markings

This is the barrel sight marking I mentioned. It looks to me like the Smith and Wesson trademark. Otherwise the barrel is approx 22 in. long with no bayonet lug. In 30-06 cal. No other markings I can see. Any one with some info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20190322_162640.jpg

Looks like what Winfield usually put on their sporter barrels. Some had a hood on the sight.

Gleal:

Thanks for the photo clarification. That is a manufacturers trademark stamp applied to a 'part', in this case the front sight. As roverboy pointed out, it appears to be like/similar to the Smith & Wesson stamp. Are there any 'marks' or other oddities on the barrel itself?  Many times other barrels were used on modified JSAR's. We have seen M1 Garand barrels frequently used.

As for genuine JSAR bayonets, keep looking. They are getting pricey, but you may find one a little cheaper. Like the under $2000 JSAR,  the under $100 bayonets are gone forever, unless you find one at a yard sale where the seller does not know what they have.

Thanks Gentlemen, The barrel has absoloutly no other marks. Unlike my miltary barrel which is clearly marked. The barrel is the same configuration exactly except for the bayonet lug is missing and the single blade front sight. Did S&W make barrels in conjunction with winfield?

As regards a bayonet Iwas wishing to find an original , but planning on finding a repro. I will keep looking.

Thanks for the responses.

As an aside I replaced the magazine cover spring last nite. Not as easy as U tube made it look.