Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kurtvn

feeding issues in my put-together 5.7 MMJ

4 posts in this topic

Greetings fellow 5.7 MMJ enthusiasts,

I have a put together M1 carbine : got the barrel from Ebay ,and sent it (plus new USGI bolt, trigger group, etc) off to Fulton Armory for putting it on one of their new receivers and for putting it together. They did this but said they would not "time" the action. When I got the rifle it would feed & fire a single round OK, but I would have to manually work the slide to get it to load the next round. Some of the time it did load semi-automatically . I was using the PCI 5.7 Johnson ammo. 

Any suggestions/ideas?

thanks

Fulton Armory is a quality shop. I visited them some years ago. I'm not quite sure what the problem might be. So I have questions:

1) Do you know who manufactured the barrel?

2) Did the barrel include a gas port (very small hole) drilled into the barrel halfway down or so?

3) Was a gas piston installed over the gas port, so that the gas from the explosion would be "leaked" into the little hole and move the piston which would in turn hit and move the operating slide backward, hitting the bolt so that the bolt would move to the rear, the extractor on the bolt would grab the empty case, and eventually (with the bolt ejector rod) eject the spent empty cartridge?

4) If Fulton is making M1 Carbines and drilling gas ports for .30 M1 Carbine Ammo, the standard port size would probably still work for the 5.7 round?

5) Who is "PCI" as a manufacturer?

6) Did Fulton explain why they would not time the action? What was their reason?

If you are in touch with Fulton on a friendly basis, tell them I'm the one asking the questions.   Ed J

Hi Ed,

Thanks for you comments. Here is a link to Graf's and the PCI 5.7 Johnson ammo https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/11966 

PCI stands for Precision Cartridge, Inc. and here's a link to their website: http://www.precisioncartridge.com/  Only I noticed that there is no mention of 5.7 Johnson ammo on their site.

I was told by the seller that the barrel was from Fulton, but I have no way of telling. Fulton said there was no ammo available for them to time the rifle. At the time, I did not know about the PCI ammo, which I use in another M1 carbine that the guy in Florida worked on for me. And it works fine in that rifle.

OK, I will try giving Fulton a call to see what they say about this. 

best,

kurtvnpci from Grafs.JPG

Kurt, how did you make out with all this? Ed J