ArtR

JSAR on GunBroker

15 posts in this topic

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/813261006

This is a nice looking rifle. Lister was very careful not to fully show SN, however, hints of a no prefix number.

Seller is a well known US martial  arms dealer from Ky.  He generally sells from a list to exclusive buyers and is most reputable.

One may never know, but "seller" may have done a SN lookup and checked part numbers????

It has now reached $9500+ with 2 days to go.  Quality still commands top dollar.

Picture 30 of 30 of this offering shows the serial number as 1967.  Interesting, as there was a post on this site, in August of 2018, about a rifle with this same serial number.  Did it sell at the auction listed that time?

Hard to say.  Mint original condition, a reputable seller, Marine or other US provenance, willing buyers who are willing to spend that kind of money for what they perceive to be the best.  I believe the record for a JSAR without provenance was $12000 about 10 or 12 years ago.

I really see no difference in it than the one I just paid $4000 for other than my  handguard was cracked and missing one screw which both have been replaced

In the description he states all matching and correct. I thought the numbers never matched?

If it is a no prefix JSAR one could certainly determine if it was all original and correct (matching:?), an uncommon finding in 30/06 NPC rifles.  The 7mm Chilean contract JSARs are occasionally found to be all matching (correct as assembled #s)

While photo #30 does show a 4 digit SN, the "second digit" is not very distinct, and while it may be a 9, I cannot attest to that. As Brian pointed out back in August 2018, and I can confirm, there is no "production" info listed for SN 1967. Also, after having looked at  many production log pages for the 4 digit no prefix rifles, and considering the "detail" and the clarity  of the handwriting for the many pages of log entry data, I am slightly suspicious about this rifle. While it is possible that "someone might have missed an entry", the entries in the logs do not reflect the hand of someone who is "tired" of laborious, hand written entries, or of someone who might have skipped an entry. Leaving a line blank is just too obvious.

While this rifle finally sold for $11,025.00, I am also still wondering what made this rifle "so valuable", other than a bidding frenzy??? As one board member always states: "Buy the gun, not the story!". Without definitive provenance, it is just another Model of 1941.

It is interesting to speculate on the meaning or significance of JSAR receivers with serial numbers in the no prefix log which have no component numbers or disposition listed.  They are not uncommon .  Were these rejects?  Were they rifles which "disappeared" for one reason or another before being inventoried?  No one seems to know.

I have a mint receiver, #1234 which is listed in the log with all the component part numbers and disposition crossed out and reassigned to #1235.  The receiver has no defects that I can see and is as new.

The dispositions are overwhelmingly NPC (Netherlands Purchasing Commission) with Govt of Chile accounting for near 1000.  There is a "Boston", "Mexico" and "Guatemala" with single listings.

Brian

Is it possible that your "mint 1234" receiver is truly just that? A look at the production logs for 1234 & 1235 does indeed show that the parts originally listed for 1234 are reassigned to 1235, but I also noted that under the disposition date column, the "red" 38 was also crossed out and that was also assigned to 1235. It clearly looks like to be different individuals penmanship for the two entries. Even the "red check mark" to the far right column is also "x'd" out.

Like you said, speculation or significance of blank SN in log could go on, but quite possibly, blank lines could be just that, unassembled rifles, thus leaving mint, unassembled receivers.

A cursory review of the 4 digit log book pages shows that to be the only case where the part SN's for one rifle were totally crossed out and assigned to the next sequence rifle. There are several instances (4353, 3373, 3946, 6469, and others) where part SN's were overwritten but clearly corrected. A couple instances (5044, 7776) where part SN's were lined out and a new part SN inserted.  There were at least 2 instances (9552/D9552) and (9816/D9816) where it appears there might have been some duplicate receiver SN's and to correct that, a "D" prefix might have been "added" to correct that mistake.

A better photo of the SN on this rifle would maybe clear up a lot of speculation.

On 5/27/2019 at 5:56 PM, ArtR said:

While photo #30 does show a 4 digit SN, the "second digit" is not very distinct, and while it may be a 9, I cannot attest to that. As Brian pointed out back in August 2018, and I can confirm, there is no "production" info listed for SN 1967. Also, after having looked at  many production log pages for the 4 digit no prefix rifles, and considering the "detail" and the clarity  of the handwriting for the many pages of log entry data, I am slightly suspicious about this rifle. While it is possible that "someone might have missed an entry", the entries in the logs do not reflect the hand of someone who is "tired" of laborious, hand written entries, or of someone who might have skipped an entry. Leaving a line blank is just too obvious.

I also wondered why this was a high dollar JSAR.   I kept this picture just in case it came back up for sale. 

913BB2EE-CC0A-41F2-8B9A-44A0A68FD1B1.png