Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bdm

Small Shop With Johnson Rifle

8 posts in this topic

I was coming back from vacation stopped at small shop they had a Johnson looked to be a possible restored Winfield owner wouldn't let me take it out of stock unless i really wanted to purchase it he wanted $3,000 dollars for it serial # B1342 i thought it was high for a restored rifle 

I'm not a Firearms collector (which may seem odd) but if the appearance was halfway decent, $3k for a '41 JSAR doesn't sound too bad. A pity the shop wouldn't let you take a closer look.

I am with Ed on this. I would think even a Winfield sporter would fetch $3k, if in decent, complete condition. I would suspect that if the 'shop owner' knew that you were a truly interested buyer (flash some cash), and you just wanted to verify complete and genuine, he might let you look a bit closer. However, just a walk-in from the street, asking to disassemble a rifle, I might also be a bit concerned as well.

Also, if the owner knows nothing about the JSAR, he might be a bit squeamish about letting someone disassemble a rifle, especially, if he knows nothing about putting it back together if you should fail.

Thank You so much for the reply i am not up on current prices of this rifle maybe i will take a ride back there without my wife with me 

Remember, Winfield sporters will normally have a different butt stock, usually with a rubber butt plate, usually old and hard, and sometimes with cheek rest. The barrel will normally have the bayonet lug gone, and the front sight may be just a single blade post. The rear sight may be original or a replacement. The barrel as well may not be original, and may have been shortened to 20" or less.

Look for signs of cracking in the stock, buggered screw heads, etc, the normal once over routine. Also check that the cross pins are there and complete.

This is a current sporter available on GunBroker...https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812667818

Good luck.

The classic remark that I have heard more than once...."I'll go back without my wife with me."    :-))    ej

The only remark that I have now is, "I hope the heck my wife does not sell my stuff for what I 'said' that I paid for it!"