Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Imgone

Interesting photo

11 posts in this topic

Here is anothter

Victory-giron.jpg

Dad wasn't very happy to see this photo.....long ago.

Great photos.  The 1st , published in Life magazine, is of contras training for the Bay of Pigs invasion armed with CIA supplied scoped JSARs.  The 2nd is of the victorious rebels led by Fidel Castro, one of whom is armed with a JSAR.

Here are some more.  There is an entire history, as yet unwritten, of JSAR use following WWII

ChiComJSAR.jpg

Johnson in Red Chinese movie.jpg

Johnson in Cuban service 2.jpg

Johnson in Cuban service x.jpg

Johnson rifles in Cuban Communist rebel service.jpg

3 hours ago, Ed Johnson said:

Dad wasn't very happy to see this photo.....long ago.

Ed: As gun manufacturers have stated and restated, they cannot be held responsible for who uses or how they use a product. I have yet to hear of Stanley or Craftsman being sued because someone used one of their tools to commit a crime.

Brian: Thanks for the added photos

Years ago, I talked to employee of major gun parts importer, he said there were approximately 800 JAR's in Cuba.  They were not available to import, no reason given.  

They were in .30-06 because the US had been arming Batista's army with WW2 rifles and ammo.  It was expected invaders were to resupply  from captured Cuban army stock.  I once talked to a retired US navy captain who had been involved.  He said they chose the Johnson because they had no US markings and used the .30-06 ammo.  I don't remember if ammo marking's were mentioned.  Likely might have been non US sourced. In my opinion, the whole event was a CIA snafu.