Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dhazel74

Sarco reproduction bayonets & scabbards

11 posts in this topic

Just an FYI to the forum members Sarco has 1941 bayo's and scabbards available now for $125 plus shipping. I snagged one. From the pictures they look pretty good. Original ones are just going for insane amounts $$

No affiliation with Sarco 

David H.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:07 PM, Imgone said:

I took a shot, and ordered one also.

Great.. I just cant see paying $600 to $900 for something that will sit in my safe or be displayed once and a while. Hope Sarco's repro bayonet and scabbards hold somewhat true to original specs. I will try to post up some pics when it arrives.

I ordered one for a Johnson i restored with the help of Joseph Scott  original bayonets are to much money i have a original for my one Johnson  i think is original

Please post photos once you recieve your bayonets. I am interested in seeing how they compare to the originals (which are nearly impossible to find up here in Canada).

They look ok but the original batch from a few years ago were quite brittle and needed appropriate heat treatment for use other than looks.

Okay so it arrived today. Here are the photo's. Now I have never seen a real one in person, so let me know what you guys think. Personally I think it is okay. 

IMG_8327.jpeg

IMG_8329.jpeg

IMG_8328.jpeg

IMG_8330.jpeg

IMG_8334.jpeg

IMG_8331.jpeg

IMG_8333.jpeg

IMG_8332.jpeg

Brian:

Thanks, again, for pointing out Walt's excellent  review on the Johnson site. It covers many of the major "tells" between reproduction bayonets and originals. 

Others:

The repro guys are getting dangerously close with this one. Especially with the scabbard. While this new one is quite good, there are many tells.  Without more and better photos, it is hard to see other issues that the scabbard might have.The leather on the scabbard is much improved over the previous repros, including some of the "roll impressions" on the hold down strap. However, the stitching on the belt loop is tight and angular. I am not used to so many "grind marks" on the bayonet. The bayo lug rivet is ground nearly flush/invisible. The bend of the spring steel beneath the flat rivet is rather pronounced. While I am not sure of the correct nomenclature, the inlet in the bayo steel 'handle/tang' for the spring steel is also rather pronounced. 

Sometime soon I will repost the 20+ photos of my bayonet and scabbard, that Ed, Walt, and others saw at the W. Springfield show in June 2005. It was and is in remarkably "new" condition-- leather supple and soft, brass with minimal Verdigris (green waxy substance), bayonet showing little if any wear/scuff marks on the "blackening/bluing", tip pointed and originally sharp.

ArtR