Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Imgone

My son and I at the range.

11 posts in this topic

My son and I took the Johnson out for some range time. Let a couple of the guys at the range take some shots with her.

62086587_10214106082662395_5814077742328578048_o.jpg

62204341_10214106074182183_420696234236313600_o.jpg

62242466_10214106082502391_6368831403500503040_o.jpg

Nothing like a day at the range with your boy! Some of the best memories I have ever had!

Wow! Massachusetts and JSAR's! At a gun range! Will wonders never cease!

Ya Massachusetts has crazy gun laws, but there are a lot more gun owners and ranges here than you would think. It is a lot like NY, the city controls the state. I would say 75% of the guys I work with shoot and hunt. But the population of Boston out does the rest of us.

Good morning Imgone, I'm just curious as to where in Mass. I grew up in Wakefield just down the road from Camp Curtis Guild and the rifle range mentioned in Bruce Canfields book. My brother and I used to play "Army" at the old Nike missile site after they removed the missile's.  I ended up joining the Army and retired here in Tennessee outside of Ft. Campbell, Ky. Nice thing about Tn is out in the county everybody makes their own backyard ranges, look at Hickcock45  or 22Plinkster for examples. They both live down the road road. To just pile it on a bit Midsouth Shooters Supply is about 25 miles away. No shipping, no hazmat fees as they offer local pickup.  I would have to say that what I really miss about Ma. is the food. Down here they think a pizza is made at Pizza Hut and subs come from Subway.Go figure. Nice pictures at the range. I 'm glad you and your son can bond like that.It warms my heart. Tom.

As a side note, back in the '90s, I used to shoot rifle matches at Fort Devens. To do so required that one have on their person both the registration confirmation and an invitation letter to shoot the match. To travel without them, one ran the risk of having the rifle(s) confiscated by the authorities.

5 hours ago, ArtR said:

Kracker327 Currently in Saugus Ma. right next store, small world. I grew up in Everett. Did some time in the Army myself. The ranges at Camp Curtis are completely shut down as of 1998. To many stray bullets landing in the local neighborhood. I have been all over this great country of ours, and will agree with you on the food, I think we have great food up in this area.

3 hours ago, ArtR said:

As a side note, back in the '90s, I used to shoot rifle matches at Fort Devens. To do so required that one have on their person both the registration confirmation and an invitation letter to shoot the match. To travel without them, one ran the risk of having the rifle(s) confiscated by the authorities.

Ya the laws are tough especially if you are from out of state. I was stationed at Fort Devens for a short time. That base is almost completely shut down. There is a small section that is still military the rest is Devens Ma. houses and businesses and a nice golf course. The range side of the base is still all ranges for military use.

Imgone, very interesting. I used to go by the old Saugus Ironworks all the time, Is the chimney still there? I bought my 1st rifle at a gunshop in Stoneham, and still have it. Colt AR15 SP. Can't remember the name of the shop. Also bought an RCBS Rock Chuck reloading kit which I also still use.This was in 1977. I used to eat a a place in Wakefield called Toody's. They made a steak & Cheese sub that was to die for. Don't know if you ever heard of that place or if they even still exist.

Yes the chimney is still there. Not to make you feel old Kracker but I was 11 in 1977. And yes I had been to Toodys, they closed about ten years ago. The only gun shop in Stoneham that I know of is Collector's Gallery they opened in 1978. I have purchased a few firearms in there. They are located on Hancock St. but I don't know if they have always been there.

One last thing. My brother and I went to Breakheart Reservation in 1973 I think it was. Anyhow there was a big bare rock that was above the vegetation and you could see a long way from up there. We watched the Chelsea fire from there. If I remember right it burned 18 city blocks and almost burned Everett. You have a good night. Thanks for putting up with my reminiscing.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, ArtR said:

Wow! Massachusetts and JSAR's! At a gun range! Will wonders never cease!

There's at least two JSAR's in good old Taxachusetts and more gun clubs and ranges than you may think !