ArtR

My JSAR Bayo and Scabbard

29 posts in this topic

As promised, here are photos of my bayonet and scabbard. I had taken it to the June 2005 show in W. Springfield, MA, where Walt, Ed, and others saw it. I once had the full size images posted on a web gallery page, but that went belly up. Full size, you could zoom in and see all the detail.

While this is not for sale, if they can get $125 for new reproductions, I begin to wonder what this 77+ year old one might be worth?

Note: Photo 11 has what appears to be a "shiny mark" a few inches from the tip and it turned out to be a pencil lead mark.

Enjoy!

ArtR

P1010001.jpgP1010002.jpgP1010003.jpgP1010004.jpgP1010005.jpgP1010006.jpgP1010007.jpgP1010008.jpgP1010009.jpgP1010010.jpgP1010011.jpgP1010012.jpgP1010013.jpgP1010014.jpgP1010015.jpgP1010016.jpgP1010017.jpgP1010018.jpgP1010019.jpgP1010020.jpgP1010021.JPG.

Very nice pictures. Thanks.

Very nice                  My original one is not that good of shape 

greerhw: your unissued scabbard looks very much like mine...it never appeared to be an easily manufactured piece...with the tight roll of the leather and the fine stitching...the Dutch examples demonstrate that they had a totally different tanning process....I find it interesting that the scabbard maker did not find it necessary to stamp his "mfg logo" and date of mfg on the leather like many of the other companies

Wow very nice my original bayonet is in fair condition the scabbard is in bad condition Thank You for posting the pictures

8 hours ago, M48TANKER said:

I would love to know who made the Chilean contract scabbards?

My Chilean scabbard is stamped under the belt loop '942 AMT' if that is any help?

Wayne

Wayne

I wonder if your stamping is an off strike and it might be "1942 AMT"...which might make sense

There are probably no Chilean mfg records to verify.

ArtR

11 hours ago, ArtR said:

Wayne

I wonder if your stamping is an off strike and it might be "1942 AMT"...which might make sense

There are probably no Chilean mfg records to verify.

ArtR

ArtR,

i was thinking the same thing or possibly Sept 42? Who knows? Anyhow, the letters strikes are clear and rather large, at an angle across the back of the scabbard. Not nearly uniform like US scabbards.

Wayne

Since everyone is showing theirs, I'll show you mine with the Chilean scabbard.

Wayne

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I never thought to look at that area for stamping.  Now I’ll have to check. I’ll Be back. 

I didn't either until the subject came up yesterday

Very cool!!! Now if we could figure out what it all means

Maybe it’s a unit or squad number.  It would help us to know how others are stamped or perhaps not stamped.  Interesting find to me.  

Here are my 2 Chileans.  Also "C 942 AMT".  The numbers and letters appear to be individually struck.  I would doubt that these 4 scabbards represented units or squads.  Perhaps some sort of acceptance stamp.  One would expect a manufacturer's stamp to be a single uniform stamping die rather than being individually struck.

DSCN2824.jpg

DSCN2827.jpg

I am researching the Chilean bayonets and sheaths. There is not much to be found yet. I did find this posting from 2006:

So am I.  One search took me to the Johnson forum.  I’ve tried various versions of the ec 942 amt, 1940’s Chilean leather manufacturing, company names, which then lead me to money exchange, as well as military squads and Checked my bayonet book.  So far no luck with my search’s, 

22 hours ago, camstuff said:

So am I.  One search took me to the Johnson forum.  I’ve tried various versions of the ec 942 amt, 1940’s Chilean leather manufacturing, company names, which then lead me to money exchange, as well as military squads and Checked my bayonet book.  So far no luck with my search’s, 

Ditto with me as well! Intriguing how everybody's are marked the same. I tend to agree with Brain that they are not from a unit or squad considering there was only 1000 +/- made and for the 3 of us to have scabbards from the same unit would be remarkable.

Anyhow, looks like we have another rabbit hole to jump down...

Wayne

Both Brian and Torrey have this odd strike before the C, which is a bit confusing, however, I am now in agreement that it is probably 942 for Sept 42, and the AMT is probably the 'factory' or makers initials. The odds of deciphering that now 78 years later are probably nil. However, I bet everyone with a Chilean scabbard will start looking once they hear of this.

According to the log, the last JSARs delivered to Chile were serial #s 6876 and 6907 on 2/4/42. #6922, 6933, 6822 and 6793 were delivered 2/3/42.  Unless the bayonet scabbards were delivered later or made later, perhaps in Chile, the 942 meaning Sept 42 does not make sense.

I hope everyone with Chilean scabbards checks and posts

These pictures are not great but they'll have to do for now. I have noticed that the "Star" emblem on the holding strap rivet is like the Chilean Army star. Perhaps the Chilean Army made them or Chilean National Police? Look at the star shown in Yuccacapt343's second picture down. My sheath has that same "Star" on the rivet.

ch.jpg

chilea.jpg

chileans.jpg

chileanb.jpg

Chilean sheath to post.jpg

Chilean star.JPG

I believe mine has the same star. But I’m not sure mine was stamped.  This is a picture from my bayonet post a few weeks ago.  I’ll have to dig it out and look closely at it.  

271215FD-1CD0-4860-A8A4-F612AC3E03BB.jpeg