ArtR

My JSAR Bayo and Scabbard

29 posts in this topic

Good Day,

A few years ago I was very pleased to visit the Virginia War Museum in Newport News, Va.  I was amazed at the quality and quantity of fine exhibits. 

I was especially interested in the USMC Raiders display that contained various accessories and rifles used by this fascinating group.  The JSAR leather scabbard (catalogue number W.M.81-26.1a-b) was especially fascinating since I had not seen this variant before.  Recently,  I reached out the museum staff about any known history associated with it, the Museum Registrar was quick in responding to my questions.  They wrote:

"No photograph was taken of it as our ongoing photography program had not reaching bayonet scabbards by the time it went into exhibit.  However, the catalogue sheet indicates that it is stamped as in the following manner:

EC
                                        AMT "
Since it, like so many others that rely on donations, the Virginia War Musuem certainly received this scabbard from a patron.  They acknowledge that its probable the origin if from the Chilean contracted accessories..  I'm very appreciative of the museum staff and Mr. Jerry Coggeshall for his emails on the subject.
Regards,
Michael

Virginia War Museum USMC Raiders & Johnson.jpg

Virginia War Museum Johnson bayonet.jpg

Virginia War Museum Johnson bayonet 2.jpg

Wish we could figure out what the markings meant. Appears all the Chilean scabbards are marked the same.

At the bottom of the first picture is what looks like a Johnson LMG. What did you learn about that?