metrotps

How much interest in Winfield Sporter's

18 posts in this topic

How many of you have a Winfield and what grade is it? What accessories do you have?

I've got a Winfield. Its got a sporter barrel with the sporter sight and hood. The butt stock has been changed and it had a weird butt plate. I changed out the butt plate with a reproduction. It still has original rear sight and nothing else seems changed out. Some rifles Winfield went crazy with. Monte Carlo stocks, some had cheekpieces. High gloss blueing, some had drilled and tapped recievers. 

I have one i restored back to military

Was yours original except stock? If so thats good. A lot had sporter barrels put on.

I have one i built specifically to be a Winfield Deluxe sporter.  I haven't run into to many out in Arizona. The few i do see are all Military or refurb to Military.

Mr. Johnson was put together after i acquired a blued Rec.With some parts trading help from a couple of guys i on the board i picked up a really nice sporter barrel and a very nice set of deluxe furn. to fill him out.The mag housing is painted a nice semi gloss black. The FT. sight now has a hood and i recently got a Johnson Automatics muzzle break for him.        Not been tapped for a scope but the rear sight is from a Military rifle. with a recent mainspring replacement (Thanks Joe) He is a really nice shooter and fairly accurate.

As spoken of in another thread all of the rifles in my Johnson collection have names and or ranks. It was easier to discuss the projects with my father by naming them :)

Ryche.  

roverboy i purchased my 1941 Johnson from a older gentleman he gave me a original barrel and bayonet and box of parts from Gun Parts they still had price tag on them he wanted to restore it back to military but never did with the help of Joseph Scott i restored the rifle back i used his rear site and one of his stocks  outstanding work everything fit perfect i plugged the holes where it was  drilled it for the scope the rifle came out beautiful 

Winfield over the years marketed a number of different configurations:

Military....as issued.  This was their least expensive  $68.50 in 53 to $88.50

Deluxe Improved Military.....military configuration but metal polished and blued with new military stock and bbl.  (There was little interest in standard military rifles in the 50's  $104.50

Standard Sporter....Unaltered metal and rear sight, simple sporter stock with recoil pad, replacement bbl, often made from Garand bbl with correct front sight but no bayonet lug.  This is the most common variety of Winfield  $129.50-139.50

Custom Sporter,,,polished and blued, standard rear sight, Monte Carlo stock by WR Hutchins, often checkered, High gloss replacement sporter bbl with ramp front sight, also available in 270 WCF and 7mm  $159.50

Custom Scoped Sporter...as above but with 4X Weaver or Bushnell scope with Winfield custom mount accepting Weaver rings..the most expensive  $228.50 - 233.50.... This was a lot of money ion the 50's!

Note that bayonets were $2.50!

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

If we could just get our hands on a time machine.   100 rounds 30/06 - $6.00.  Could be Alpert Arms Corp now!

Someone above mentioned a Johnson Muzzle Break. I am assuming this was going to be used on something other than a '41 JSAR. Installation on a '41 would affect the recoil operation.

In looking at deluxe stock, bluing and bbl with ramp front sight, I believe you have a Custom Sporter.  Standard Sporters were not blued, had a plain stock without cheek piece and a bbl (usually made from a Garand bbl) with original front sight but no bayonet lug.

I agree on the custom sporter. Dad actually had one in his collection back in the '50's from Winfield, which I believe he gave to a close friend.

Yes you both are correct and I apologize that I mislabeled it as a Standard Sporter. I had posted the pictures here back in 2008 when I purchased the rifle and after discussion with Mr. Scott I decided to leave it as a Winfield and not return it to mil-spec. Winfields are part of the history of these fine rifles and it was just too pretty to alter IMHO.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:29 PM, bdm said:

roverboy i purchased my 1941 Johnson from a older gentleman he gave me a original barrel and bayonet and box of parts from Gun Parts they still had price tag on them he wanted to restore it back to military but never did with the help of Joseph Scott i restored the rifle back i used his rear site and one of his stocks  outstanding work everything fit perfect i plugged the holes where it was  drilled it for the scope the rifle came out beautiful 

Hello from the new guy in the group. How did you go about plugging the holes?  Was it reblued afterwards?  I’m interested in doing the same on a sporter and would like to know your procedure.  Thanks.

Sign me up for 100 of those $68.50 military models.....once I receive them, I will post for sale on this forum....with just a minor price hike!

camstuff i used threaded plugs to put in the taped holes that held

the scope on the Winfield i restored

To plug a scope screw hole.  Buy some of the small screws made for that purpose.  Before installing, slightly taper the entrance with a drill so that the taper is larger than the screw diameter.  Install screws with Loctite, being sure they do not protrude into bolt path. Leave slot above receiver surface, file screw down almost to surface with about one thread showing. Then using small ball peen hammer peen the metal so that it covers the bevel.  Then file flat.  This covers the crevice between screw and tapped hole.

Thank you Joe, I enjoy reading your experienced tricks of the trade on the johnson’s. Your diagnosis and steps to repair are very helpful.  I think there needs to be handbook written with all of your knowledge.  Thanks for sharing them.