kennethg

bolt hold open part

6 posts in this topic

My 1941 Johnson bolt does not stay open. It is a full military model, not one that was modified. I have read that Mr. Johnson did not like that feature but was required to add for the trials. Is it possible to see if the part is not in my rifle without taking it completely apart?

Thanks,

Ken 

You will have to pull the The rifle down to field stripped to see if its there.There are instructions for this on this board.

In my experience most militarys don't have them and they are not really necessary. If you didn't have one and could find one (sometimes tough to find) They can be expensive and sometimes have to be fitted.

Ryche

Kennethg: In some of my research it was said that the military guys who did use the rifle didn't care for the hold open device and often got rid of it during cleaning.

This would be easy enough as its  mostly a drop in piece. And as i've heard much like the bi-pod on the LMG. It added extra weight and was seldom used.

Easy to remove and easy to loose :)

If you feel you have to have a hold open, someone on this board may have one for sale. I would have to look to see if i still have one as i may have sold my last one.

I never put one in my military model but i did, just for giggles, put one in my Winfield sporter model.

Ryche

A number of years ago I purchased a box full of hold-opens that had come from old Winfield Arms.  All the front fingers were slightly short per drawing.  It is my belief that when Winfield stripped the guns for inspection and reassembled them,  if hold-open (bolt catch) worked they sold guns with it.  If they didn't work in that gun, it was sold without the catch.  Each catch finger had been fitted to each  gun when built and varied slightly.  I had weld metal added to each finger back to spec length and test them in my guns.  Have only had to exchange one.  I still have some available.  This is probably the most difficult (expensive) part for the factory to make and I can see why Mr Johnson  didn't like it.   Message me, Joe

Gentlemen, thanks for the additional info. I am not going to worry about not having the hold-open feature. I have fired my rifle and I am very pleased with it.

Thanks, Ken