Cannedtuna

JSAR serial number check

9 posts in this topic

Greetings to all from a new member!  I have read your posts for a long time...thank you for the information and entertainment. My family has had a Johnson for a long time and I am hoping to get some history on it if any is available. I’m happy to report that serial number 8796 is cleaned, sighted and ready for service if called upon!  Oorah!

Here is the info on JSAR #8796

Received from Cranston Arms 2/17/42

Stock #2

Bbl #3423E

Hammer block #7395

Hammer #1761A

Bolt #2408

Locking cam #6366

Firing pin #A1208

Extractor #4868

Magazine #A566

Transferred to NPC 2/20/42

It is rare indeed if a 30/06 matches.  The only ones which often match are the 7mm Chilean contract rifles.  They were apparently stored and seldom dissembled or rebuilt 

Interesting.  I guess we should be very happy many were reassembled correctly!  I am curious about the barrel. It has no serial number and no bayonet lug...clearly a replacement and the only part on the list without a number. 

0D237E52-A2D8-4F43-96D9-22C1FDED57CA.jpeg

CAAB3439-C6A9-4894-873D-F2D1AC3C1D86.jpeg

Your bbl was made from a Garand bbl, a common replacement on Winfield Standard Sporters.  The bayonet lug was left off and it was somewhat shorter.  You can tell its origin by the remnants of the grooves for the hand guard clip as well as the groove in mid bbl for the lower band retaining pin

Someday, maybe, we’ll find an original barrel.  Disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling was easier than I thought. I enjoyed it too! I’m glad the family kept it. A3B1745B-EFD3-44C7-B9DC-552EE5ABBAC9.jpeg

65D1F19F-38B0-42D0-8C77-76D724BAD899.jpeg