Renegadebgp

Johnson 1941 sporterized

11 posts in this topic

My father got this 1941 Johnson and several other firearms from my uncle, Harold 'Hal' Johnson, who has written a couple books on small arms. the underside of the barrel chamber is stamped Denmark. the Cranston stamp is on the side. Serial number is B65xx and I cant find info on that. I  want to gather background info in order  to list this for sale. Years ago I looked into Buying a barrel and parts to militarize it. I also had feedback that the Winfield Sportarized copies may get value in their own right. ( obviously much less than original ). I have seen stocks on Sport models with a comb. This stock seems very close to the original besides the metal butt plate. there is a plugged hol just behind the rear slinh swivel. Any info and suggestions are appreciated

IMG_2898.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

It looks to me like a Winfield Standard Sporter (plain sporter stock with receiver NOT polished and blued) with a Deluxe bbl.  The standard sporter bbl was usually made from a Garand bbl and had a JSAR front sight but no bayonet lug.  The deluxe bbl was newly made, polished and blued with a ramp front sight.  These are somewhat easier to restore to military configuration as the receiver has not been messed with.

Thanks very much Brian. Thats the kind of info I needed. I had an '03 Springfield Sporterized, 1917 Enfield and Garand. All that is left of the military arms is this Johnson. 

Brian (Renegadebgp)

Couple more questions.... The buttstock looks original. Were the Sporterized stocks replaced or did they just add a Pachmayr recoil pad to the original? To remilitarize this, I'm assuming a replacement military barrel must be added, not just parkerize this barrel and add the sight and bayonette lug? (as well as the butt plate). ALso, I see the Miltech copies that look like the polished recievers and Magazine  were just Parkerized. Are these worth the same as an original Military rifle or even worth doing to get a higher price?  From what I see, there are no serial number logs for the letter prefix numbers, correct?

Thanks, Brian (Renegadebgp)

Edited by Renegadebgp
more info added

Renegadebgp,

Original stocks are very difficult to find and expensive when you do find one. There is an option, and that would be to re-shape the "sporter" stock to the dimensions of the military stock. I've done this several times. There are pictures in the "Gallery" section of this web site of what I did. http://johnsonautomatics.com/messageboard/index.php?/gallery/

Likewise your current barrel can be retrofitted with a bayonet lug and original front sight. These two parts are sometimes available from "Numrich"/"Gun Parts Inc."  or "Sarco"

Most likely your present barrel is in pretty good shape internally, and a good candidate for adding a bayonet lug and front sight. (if you can live with a replacement barrel) especially since nice original barrels are currently bringing from $700.00 to $1300.00

Some of our members have extra parts from time to time, and have made "new" barrels from 03 and 03A3 Springfield barrels. Mr. Joe Scott is the world's best at reproducing these barrels. He can also use Garand barrels and other commercial 30.06 barrels.

Mr. Joe Scott is your best bet for restoring your rifle. If you can't contact him, I will try to assist you in your quest.

MIchael Roper  aka  "M48TANKER"

In my 25+ years in dealing with JSARS, I have come to a number of conclusions regarding value/price realized on sale.  In my opinion, the hierarchy of value is as follows:  

1. JSARs with documented US provenance and those with individual combatant provenance.  Realize that only around 800 JSARs were in US  service.....Marines, 1st Special Service Force, OSS, etc  

2. Original mint condition JSARs with or without correct, as issued numbers

3. Originals in lesser condition

4. JSARs restored to original configuration with replacement stocks, bbl, rear sights, etc.  The more replacement parts, the less it is worth.  

5. Previously polished and blued JSARs restored to original with replacement parts

6. Restored JSARs with receivers drilled and tapped for scope mounts

7. Winfield Standard Sporters.  These are easier to restore than Deluxe as the receivers have not been polished and blued

8. Winfield Deluxe Sporters

9. Sporters which have been drilled and tapped

Chilean 7mm JSARs (imported by Navy Arms in late 70's), even with correct #s bring less than 30/06 rifles in comparable condition.  Miltech restorations are at the high end of restored rifles.

The majority of JSARs in the US came from Winfield Arms.  Cecil Jackson bought the entire Dutch inventory in the late 40's as well as  most of the parts inventory from Numrich and these emerged as Winfield in Los Angeles

Auctions and online auction sites are sometimes a "crap shoot"  I have seen Sporters go for $5000 and nice originals go for under $4000.  Occasionally, one, even without provenance will reach "telephone numbers".  I believe the record is around $12000 but realistically, choice originals may reach $7500.  Decent restorations $4500, lesser on down.

I think the relative rankings are pretty much spot on.  One correction...the First Special Service Force never had any Johnson rifles.  For the record, the standard M1941 Johnson rifle that belonged to Sheldon Jones, corporate secretary and director of JAMCO, sold at auction in late 2017 for $16,000. 

My mistake.  The 1st Special Service Force had JLMGs, not JSARs

It's interesting how the Chilean JSAR's go for less money considering there was only about 1000 of them?

On the next to the last photo I posted, there is a hole that does not have a bolt in it. Is there a bolt missing or what is that hole above the trigger

Yes, The cover screw is missing from the cross bolt