John M.

JSAR Buttstocks?

18 posts in this topic

Is there a source for repro JSAR military style buttstocks these days?

Some very fine examples were available a number of years ago, but I am not able to locate a source now.  

Might as well ask about forends as well.

Thanks.   Any help would be appreciated.

Joseph Scott used to produce the best "drop-in"military style buttstocks.  He is no longer producing them.  Several months ago Murray's Gunstocks in Ore4gon (I think) was in the process of making them.  I sent Murray a mint stock to copy.  He was apparently having problems having the holes drilled (which really determined correct fits and function).  I don't know if he ever got any finished.  There were many posts on this forum from those in waiting.  Hopefully someone will respond as to final outcome 

Here you go  http://www.murraysgunstocks.com/MilitaryGunstocks.php  

Rather pricey but currently the only game in town!

I had to drill a Murray $400 butt stock for customer who waited a year for it.  There was no evidence of any drill attempted by Murray.  The outside work was excellent.  I don't think they had a clue on what was required inside.  The tube hole and cross key holes are critical. 

If I can still find some blanks, I will try to make wood again (with my wife's eyes and hands helping).  Had to quit due loss of vision in right eye.   I will post notice if I start production again.  Joe

I purchased one of Joseph Scott's Stocks many years ago beautiful work wish i had purchased one of his barrels didn't have the money at the time when i did he stopped making them i hate shooting my original  barrel

I will be willing to assist Joe in reproducing Johnson stocks and forearms. I have some experience in reshaping and contouring Winfield Sporter stocks to resemble military stocks. Please let me know if I can help.

I have a Murray buttstock. I had to wait a year for it. At the time he made it he could not find anyone to drill the stock for the mainspring tube. Joe Scott drilled it for me and installed

the tube. It came out perfect ! The stock was very nice with little to no inletting needed. He may still sell them unfinished,undrilled.

Bob G.

M 48 Tanker has offered to help. He is also a new member of our website team. We are trying to help people with this site and keep moving forward with these parts.

I've spent the majority of my working life building high end custom homes. I do all kinds of woodworking from cabinet building, interior trim work, framing, and all finish work.

I will try to help anyone with their rifle restoration. I do have a lot of experience with the mechanics of firearms also.

Mike

Joe-  I got 2 or 3 of your stocks many years ago, and your workmanship is superb!  

I have several walnut stock blanks available.  These measure 2.5 inches thick, about 6 inches tall at the butt, and pretty much that size thru the action area, with forend tapered.  Overall length about 32 inches.   If these might be useful, let me know and I can send photos and measurements.  American black walnut, seasoned about 25 years.
THANK YOU and M48 Tanker for even considering getting back into this.   I sure hope someone will apprentice to you to take over this specialized skill.

I have a Winfield Sporter M1941. I would very much appreciate any help getting a replacement stock for it. 

I can be reached at Whitpusmc@aol.com. I’m a former Marine Officer and my mother’s maiden name is Johnson so it’s a very important rifle for me.

I believe John Darling in California was involved with stocks several years ago. I have not heard from him for a long time.

John Darling was the major supplier of JSAR parts and replacement stocks for many years.  Several years ago, he turned his parts and stock making jigs over to Joseph Scott.  When I last talked with John, he was restoring vintage tractors.

I greatly appreciate the replies. 
I have tried to reach Mr Scott with no success. Does anyone have a way to reach him? I did try the forum methods without result, it says he can’t receive messages? 

Whit

WhItpusmc@aol.com 

Joe, in my case, I go to the message board and look for the E-mail envelope message logo on the top right of my screen right next to the "bell" logo, and tap my mouse on the envelope. It opens up. If you're unable to open, check with Jim P directly?

On 2/15/2021 at 1:03 PM, Joseph Scott said:

I can't open my messages. How do you do it now?

Sir,

If you are willing please contact me directly at Whitpusmc@aol.com. Whatever works for you is fine with me.