Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed Johnson

Possible Dardick at auction

6 posts in this topic

I am advised that there may be some Johnson related products, including possibly a Dardick pistol and also Dardick rifle components, at the Amoskeag Auction in New Hampshire 11/20 & 11/21/2021. There may be also some Dardick ammo, etc. We will know more later on.  ej

From what I've seen, the pricing of $1k to $1.8k is in line. However, they were not sold that way. They were sold as model 1500 pistols with either or both .38 special and .22 long rifle pistol barrels, and the long rifle barrel assembly was an add-on extra. Most of this inventory was sold by Numrich and the guns never worked properly. The only pistols that worked at all were tuned up by a local gunsmith in Guilford, CT who has long since passed on. I believe he had been employed at Dardick at one point after I worked there as a barrel drilling and reaming operator during the summers of 1958 and '59.

Thanks for the info Ed, my concern is did you drill this one straight?😊

With that equipment, you had to center the grip at one barrel end very carefully. The barrel was then spun at high speed and was slowly brought down on the lubricated carbide drill bit and slowly brought straight down to other end of the barrel. In this fashion, the drill was self centering. The lubricating oil was pressured out the end of the drill tip for cooling and getting rid of the shaved metal pieces.that slid down a groove in the side of the drill.

The reaming machine operated in similar fashion to bring the .38 and .22 caliber barrels to proper size.. 

By this time, I was 18 years old and able to figure out that Sigmund Freud would have probably enjoyed watching the process. You can probably imagine the wisecracks that circulated in the machine shop.

To my knowledge.....the bores in the barrels were straight......    ej

Ed

The secret got out that you drilled this one straight, it brought 5,000. Plus plus