Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Receiver wear question

5 posts in this topic

I have a receiver that has wear in the upper channel where the locking cam rides. It is rough from original broaching and has two worn areas that impede the locking cam when you manually travel it. One is right at start of recoil motion and other is where the cam rides over the hammer. It doesn't cycle fully back and does not clear fired casing outward. I think these spots are dragging the bolt.

I have changed almost everything else and still will not cycle properly. I am not sure if cam should even touch this area or only inside the bolt. I do not have internal receiver dimensions for checking if it was designed to contact between these parts or if bolt channel has worn and allowing bolt to rise too much. This one has been a real head scratcher. Has anyone else seen wear in this area?

This gun was purchased last year by someone who bought the first one he had opportunity to get. We saw it at Houston in Nov, 04 for sale and rated it mariginal and overpriced. New owner had not shot it. I got it for stock and lug replacement. Test firing gave probllems from the first. I have traded bolts, barrels, lowers, recoil assemblies, etc. with same results, extracts but will not clear action. Been to range 8-10 times with no improvements. Last time fired 50 rds swapping parts. Finally decided it had to be receiver and found the internal wear. I can polish upper channel or reduce cam surface (the flat just above rear hinge) but don't want to until I understand how and why the wear. For a gun that looked Ok, this is the worst assembly of bad parts I have found. Don't pay a good price until you shoot the gun or get a warranty that it shoots ok. The seller stated that he had not shot it, just a purchase and resale. The drag spots are not large but you can see/feel them when you take the cam assembly and put it in empty receiver with link down and move it with slight pressure against groove. Hope I explained that. Not something I expected on a Johnson.

Rifle is #5049. Inside the receiver is extremely rough and shows little or no polishing of bolt path. I wonder if this gun was put together by someone using unfinished parts. Inside the bolt looks the same. The bolt path looks like it was bored with a dull clogged drill and never finished. The bolt itself looks OK. Found the firing pin retainer did not fit flush with bottom of cam assembly and may have added to drag. All my other spares are slightly below flush. Honed inside bolt and switched FP retainer, put all parts on another receiver and going to try it soon. Keep "tooned".

Report on rifle. Polished bolt path in receiver and tried it. Still malfunctioned. Put parts in another receiver and they work. Finally found the cam surface which unlocks the bolt and matching cut in top of receiver are rough. Looked like piece of surface was "pulled out". Can't see cut in receiver very well but feel bad spot with pointed tool. Looking for way to polish surface. These are special spiral cuts and have to be right. All of this is irritating and challenging to me, hope it is of interest to others. This might be a place a little grease would be helpful, oil point for sure.

The problem receiver is just that. I polished the cam surfaces which unlock the bolt and it still will not function. The parts work in another receiver. So, seven months, 13 trips to the range and countless hours, I give up and will return it to owner without charges. First one I couldn't fix, anyone want to try, I will refer owner to you.