Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Joseph Scott is a perfect gentleman

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone -

I just wanted to let everyone here know what a pleasure it was to deal with Joseph Scott.

I found a nice JAR by luck and knew next to nothing about them. I found this site and his website around the same time and decided that I would have Joseph do the restoration work.

After several phone calls to Joe I realized that I was dealing with a really nice, honest guy who knew his stuff and who was willing to spend the extra time on the phone explaining things to a newbie.

I sent my bayonet and scabbard along with my JAR for him to inspect and get some feedback on, since I know very little about them. He told me that for $350 I got a really good original bayonet and an "outstanding" original leather scabbard, possibly one of the better ones he has seen.

Due to my ignorance, I asked Joseph to do work a certain way on the rifle and it ended up costing me a lot more money than I anticipated. When I questioned the bill, Joseph explained to me why the price was more due my requests and how I could significantly reduce my costs. He did it in a very friendly and professional manner. I should have known what I was requesting before I requested it.

Well, the finished product is here and I am getting ready to stain it and take it to the range. It looks beautiful and the work is first rate.

The video I requested from him was destroyed by FEDEX during shipping. Joseph has told me that another one will be out in the mail ASAP.

It is not often that you can talk to someone about guns and learn more than you ever dreamed, but Joseph Scott proved to be a wealth of knowledge and a hell of a nice guy to deal with.

I would recommend his work to anyone. His service is top notch.

Thank you Joseph for some excellent work.

Tom from Maine

I want to add to the kudos for Joseph Scott. Several years ago, I acquired a transferable M1941 Johnson Light Machine Gun with a documented USMC provenance. When I received the weapon and took it to the range, it wouldn’t function properly. When it would fire, it would often “run away” and empty the magazine. I sent the gun to the widely-acknowledged “best” Class III gunsmith in the country. The guy kept the gun for several months and tinkered with it some but, frankly, had no idea what the problem was. He eventually returned the gun to me along with a bill for services rendered. Some time later, I corresponded with Joseph Scott about the problem and he made arrangements for a licensed Class III gunsmith in his area to receive the gun so he could look it over. Joseph almost immediately spotted the problem… the gun had a Johnson rifle bolt instead of a LMG bolt! The two bolts are essentially identical except for slightly different machining cuts, thus the sear would not engage properly. When efforts to purchase a spare LMG bolt were unfruitful, Joseph made arrangements for a talented machinist to remachine the cuts in the rifle bolt to duplicate those in the LMG bolt. Thus remachined, the bolt was identical to a Johnson Light Machine Gun bolt. The gun now functions flawlessly and has never misfired or faltered once. Joseph Scott was able to identify the problem and make arrangements to have it fixed at a fair and reasonable price. He is definitely one of the “good guys.”