Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

1940 senate hearing on Johnsons

1 post in this topic

I am reading an original printing of the May 29, 1940 Senate hearings and picked out several passages to share. 1. Mr. Johnson stated a major advantage as: "Furthermore, the soldier need never be defenseless while loading the magazine, for it-unlike others- can be reloaded while the rifle is cocked ready to fire". 2. "Only 42,000 M1 Garand rifles were available at present" (may,1940). 3. Mr Johnson had recommended in a previous speech that the process of "farming out" production of parts be implemented to speed up rifle production. (In fact, this was later adopted by army in production of m1 carbines-my comment). 4. stated that any .30 barrel could be used in a Johnson (not a special design as per M1 Garand-my comment). 5. Fred C. Ness of NRA stated "The Johnson is exceptionally well adapted for the use of a telescope sight----- because of the fact that it loads from the side and ejects its fired cases through loading port in side of receiver.---- " Superior to the Garand, Springfield and other bolt action rifles which cannot be clip loaded when the telescope is in place." Testimony of US Army officers seem very biased. More later.