Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
junkynotch

new stock

7 posts in this topic

Just would like to say I received a new stock from joe scott for my dads jsar I got him for (a late fathers day present) for his jsar. The workmanship is exqusite and I would highly recomend it for anyone who needs a replacement. But I also have a couple questions. When we got the stock in the mail I imeditly got about to taking the Winfield stock off and found a problem. When we went to take the tube out of the butt stock I noticed that some genius had cracked it and tried to braze it back together(very poorly I might add) Also I had to take a brass rod to drive it out of the stock, the new stock it appears to free float, I have since ordered a replacement and want to know if this would cause the bolt not to stay back? The gun does have a bolt catch in it but I do not think that the bolt is going far enough back to engage the catch. Any one else had this problem? Dad has had this gun for about seven years and we have yet to fire it really would like to try it out. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Joe Elliott

You may know this aready but the bolt catch will not function unless the magazine follower is depressed by pressing it in about 1/2 inch (finger through the loading gate) when the butt stock group is slid onto the receiver. Then the camming surfaces which raise the bolt catch will engage when the magazine is empty. To release the bolt from an engaged bolt catch when the magazine is empty, the follower also needs to be depressed when one pulls back the bolt and releases it.

Thanks for the help. Before I completley removed the tube from the sporter stock I tried what you had said but it still would not work. So I'll have to wait until I get the replacement parts in the mail before I can do any more examination. Thanks again

Joe Elliott

I've read your dilemma regarding the main spring tube. Sounds like errors during previous attempts of removal resulted in its cracking.

The mainspring tube has a small saddle blazed on it (from the factory) which accomodates a square recoil key (screwed from both sides of the stock). Because of this saddle you can only remove the mainspring tube in the direction toward the receiver.

What kind of damage was done to the tube during repair and do you still have free movement of the mainspring and buffer ? Mainspring tube should be approx. 10 1/8 " in length, center of saddle approx. 4 1/8" from front.

The tube is pretty much junk, the top of the tube that goes toward the reciever has a crack about 3 inches starting from the reciever end and going down. It looks like when Winnfield converted to a sporter they did not cut the circumfrence of the channel big enough in the stock. So intern it looks like they drove the tube in with a punch and a hammer. I suppose I could tig the crack back up but for all the effort and cost in materials it was just cheaper to order a new one. Thats a shame because the gun except for the stock and bluing appears all orignal. From what I have read in the Johnson book and on this website it has the orginal barrel and sights bayo lug , and not tapped for scope. It is a very sharp looking gun, I would just like it to fire.

Thanks again

Joe Elliott

Does the catch work when you pull back the bolt? Based on my examination of many catches which I recently acquired, they seem to be fitted to a specific gun as the small finger varies in length (shorter than drawing dimension). Check that the long portion is straight and not curved downward. Try bending it up a little. The magazine internal pusher can be bent a little to make contact but are easy to break. Incorrectly installed recoil tubes are common in the sporter stocks. When correct, installing the buffer will tighten the tube backwards against the small key. I have new recoil tubes if you need one. If you are buying a used one, inspect inside for wear using a bore light. A wear ring just inside the forward end is found sometimes, this can slow recoil motion.

shazamm. Got the new tube in the mail this weekend. I installed it in the stock and no more bind on the buffer. After I got it all together I ended up doing what Joseph Scott said and to bend the catch upward(toward the reciever) and hooray, the bolt catch worked. Cycled it a couple of times and it still works, all I need now is magazine door spring, butt sling swivel 1 mainspring key screw and some stain and it will be ready for the rifle range. Thanks for everyones help on this board don't know what I would do without you'all

Thanks again

Joe Elliott ;)