Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arado

beautiful green

7 posts in this topic

Pulled my original JSAR from safe for maintenance. Cleaned and oiled where required. Put a patch through the frosted barrel and it came out greenish. Went to Hoppes copper remover and soaked bore over night. Patch came out bright green. Did this three more times and the bore is clean and brite, frost is gone....Maintenance pays, Gary

Arado,

I couldn't agree with you more. Maintenance is the key. A clean and warm weapon is a happy weapon. :)

walt B)

Beautiful green........you got to be kidding!

I'd be horrified if I found the presence of the condition you describe. I know we all get in a hurry but the cleaning and care of a collectible takes a deliberate effort.

A lot has been written on the number of patches thru a bore and related solvents /chemicals .....when all is done that last patch better be clean.......or your setting yourself up for the leftovers to grow green.

Clean will never be green!

I could not agree more If I had done the shooting. I have cleaned a large number of mil-surp that had the same condition. Green is beautiful for it beats the dickens out of brown rust..Gary

The greenish color occurs when the copper residue has been exposed to an ammonia based cleaner which did not remove the gilding metal left in the bore, just changes its color. Hoppe's products are excellent and based on many years of know-how.