Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrgrant

m1941 johnson

12 posts in this topic

i wanted to know if anyone knows if there is a way to find out approximately what year a johnson rifle was made based on it's serial number.also i wanted to know if anyone knows of a source of pics of the johnson being used in combat.

If it is a no-prefix serial number, a couple of guys who monitor this board can give you the exact date the rifle was shipped from the factory. In any event, the vast majority of M1941 Johnson rifles were manufactured in 1942.

I've been looking for a combat photo of a Johnson rifle for many, many years to no avail. There are a bunch of combat photos of the LMG, but not of the rifle.

A follow up regarding the combat photos...I was referring to rifles in the hands of the USMC paratroopers. There are a few photos of the rifle being used by Dutch colonial troops in a combat setting and a couple are shown in the book "Johnson's Rifles and Machine Guns." I've seen a few other Dutch combat photos, but images of Marines using Johnson rifles are seemingly non-existent.

I recently met a Marine who said he was in the Pacific. I will ask him if he has or knows of any.

I got to talking with my grandfather recently while he was looking at a few of my M1's and JSAR's.

He said the topic of the Johnson came up a few years back with about 12-14 of his buddies he met while in the Pacific.

None of them had ever seen (or heard of) the Johnson rifle until after the war.

I've talked with dozens of Marines at different gun shows, and nobody I've talked with had ever seen on in combat.

One gentleman (an Army Veteran who served in Vietnam) claimes to have qualified with a '41 Johnson.

That's the closest I've come to hearing a first-hand account of a Johnson being used by an enlisted man.

I suspect (based on my extremely limited conversations with WWII Marine Vets), that an actual combat photo would be all but non-existant (unless staged).

But, like I said . . . My knowlege on this topic is extremely limited.

The issuance of M1941 Johnson rifles to US troops during WWII was limited to the USMC parachute units. Even within the parachute outfits, the use of Johnson rifles was not extremely widespread. Since the USMC parachutists were quite small in in number, the vast majority of Marines during WWII never encountered, and most probably never even heard of, the Johnson rifle during the war.

While it is not the definitive photo and if my memory is correct, the "jacket" or cover photo on the USMC Historical Branch publication (I think it was titled "The Northern Solomons Campaign") shows a group of Marines on the beach, hunkered down. In the background is what appears to be a JSAR rifle barrel. I wonder if there were other photos taken by the Marine Corps cameraman that would show the JSAR in more detail. This topic was mentioned on this board quite some time ago.

Bob

I received the 26 episode 1950's documenary "Victory at Sea" as a gift this year. I will be keeping an eye on weapons as I watch footage in the Pacific. It has been ages since I have seen this, so I am not sure about clarity, but it will be fun to watch and see....

ArtR

Bob, That is quite correct. I have a copy of the book and will endevour to dig it out and re-scan the photo.

I also have a photo supplied for future use in my book (if I ever get it done)showing a member of the USMC para battn cleaning his JSAR, this being kindly supplied by his nephew (who is a member of this board).

Hello Gents.. I was directed to this firum for help with the production and for which contract my rifle was made for and when shipped, etc.. I have received some very appreciated help from board members with this rifle as well.

Here is a link to some pics of it.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...40477&members=1

It has a 7mm barrel with no chilean crest but a bunch of proof marks.

Serial number is 6674 with no prefix.

Thank you for any help.

David

Your rifle should have a serial number with no A,B prefix. Looks right for a Chilean rifle. The barrel markings are correct and I actually have one of the muzzle covers, too.

As a no prefix rifle, your gun's production info is available. Be a little patient and check back.