Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amram

what ammo?

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone here use the hxp 30 06 from the CMP in their Johnson? I shoot HXP in my garand and it is fine ammo but seems a little hot compared to Lake City. any thoughts?

I've shot most HXP loaded ammo (.303 and .30-06) and find it to be very good, accurate ammo.

In MY OPINION (which doesn't count for much) it is the best ammo that is near true mil spec (UK and US) that is available at the moment. The Greeks made it to what the US and UK Ordnance Boards defined the round should be loaded at.

An additional bonus is that it is reloadable due to the boxer primers.

I have never seen any of the Greek 303. I sure would like to get my hands on some. I have a couple od no 4 mk I T sniper rifles and I don't want to shoot corrosive ammo in them.

Be advised...most HXP bullets attract a magnet....and as quoted from the CMP site:

"FAQ: Does the bullet attract a magnet?

A: Some Ranges in the western states will not allow the use of any ammo that attracts a magnet in an effort to prevent forest or brush fires caused by sparks. Because we frequently are asked if the bullet attracts a magnet - we provide the information as part of our description to reduce the number of calls and emails we would otherwise receive. The bullet does not have a steel jacket, but there is some ferrous metal in the gilding metal."

I suppose if you shoot the ammo infrequently, there would be no problem. Many competitive shooters do not like the "ferrous" compounding of some foreign bullets as they are abrasive to the barrel surface.

Other than that, like Jim says, they are excellent in quality. There was some Korean ammo a while back that was also made to US Specs and was excellent for shooting.