Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capthowie

.30-06 blanks in JSAR

5 posts in this topic

I just recently acquired a bag full of blanks and was wondering whether the gun would cycle properly or cause damage if I used them..

Anybody ever tried blanks?

I doubt anything would happen other than a 'bang' being emitted from the muzzle. As there is not projectile to cause any recoil the short recoil principle upon which the JSAR works will not function. The propellant powder will simple blow out the end in the same way a blank will in a bolt actioned rifle.

The use of wooden bulleted blanks may cause recoil but I have never seen them in .30-'06 and only know of them for sure in .303 (for use in Bren guns) and in 6.5 Swedish.

Capthowie, As Jim said, there is no equal and opposite force to unlock the bolt and cycle the rifle. Keep in mind the four movements that the bolt makes. this was also used to sell the rifle if the rifle fails to cycle as it replicates a bolt action which the shooter can use should the rifle fail to cycle on its own due to whatever. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you may have corrosive primers. Sodium chlorate becomes sodium cloride when fired which is salt. Salt attracts moisture from the air and when in contact with ferrous metal becomes ferrous oxide that we all call rust. Clean it afterwards and the bolt and you should have no problems. Cordially, Alasdair

If I remember correctly it is easy to mistake blanks for grenade launcher blanks. There is a significant powder difference, so if it is GI production you may want to determine they are normal blanks.

It would make absolutely no difference what type of blank you used in the JSAR as the powder and gases would vent into the open via the muzzle. Only if you add a restriction such as a blank firing adaptor would a problem become evident due to excess gas back pressure if you were to use the more powerful cartridge.