Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Lamoreaux

JLMG Production Numbers & S/Ns

1 post in this topic

I realize that most of the folks using this board aren't Class III collectors -- either because of prices or local (state) restrictions on ownership of these weapons. However, there were probably less than 3,500 JLMGs of all models manufactured. On the forms files with the Treasury Department by Johnson Automatics, only an incomplete set remains. Because these are considered tax forms, they are not available from the government on an FOI (Freedom of Information Act) request. One of the forms reflect some s/ns purportedly beginning with a "d". On re-examination and analysis, this form does not reflect machine guns serial numbered with this this letter as a prefix. It simply reflects that these were reported on a previous tax form. One will find JLMGs with a prefix "d", indicating that they are REWATs -- reactivated weapons that were once welded-up. Unfortunately, some "mystery" remains regarding the reporting of M1944 and M1944-E weapons. Johnson Automatics frequently considered these to be upgraded versions of the M1941 l.m.g. and may have reported them as M1941 models for tax form filing purposes. I somewhat doubt this as there is some photographic evidence that the '44-E (also called the M1945) had an "E" prefix (capital "E" then a dash then the s/n). I'm still trying to determine if French Expeditionary Corps troops in the Italian Campaign were armed with M1944 Johnson l.m.g.s but as of February 2008 have had no response to various inquiries. Would love to get to France (again) to utilize the records at Chatterault (spelling?). If anyone is heading in that direction, please let me know and I'll provide whatever info I have.