Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BRDow

Parts to match 1941 Johnson riflesMa

8 posts in this topic

Please forgive me if this is a re-hash, but I am a newbie here, and I didn't find my answer in the existing posts. Is anyone attempting a forum to exchange parts for matching up 1941 Johnsons's? I have a few numbered parts that might help someone. I have three bolts, six extractors, one locking cam, one magazine, two hammers, and hundreds of firing pins. Oh yeah, and an LMG hammer. Is it worthwhile for me to degrease and log all these firing pins to see if they would help someone match up a rifle? How would I post the results to see if it helps someone?

BRDow

Since the M1941 was never matching from the factory, there is less interest (generally speaking) to match parts to the receiver serial number.

Mixed matched numbers are the original format, and a "fully matching" M1941 is suspect in the least as to originality.

Now if you have the original configuration from the records (only non-prefixed rifles at this time) there may well be interest in getting a part that matches the original delivery.

HTH

'Matching' was a poor choice of words. 'Original configuration' would have been better. Most of my firing pins have letter prefix, but I am just now degreasing them to see if there are a significan number of no-prefix pins. The other parts are all no-prefix. Seems a shame to just use them as spares or repair parts if they would enhance someone's rifle.

Being a newbie here, I was surprised to find J and K prefixes on some firing pins. I didn't know they went that high.

Bruce

Please forgive me if this is a re-hash, but I am a newbie here, and I didn't find my answer in the existing posts. Is anyone attempting a forum to exchange parts for matching up 1941 Johnsons's? I have a few numbered parts that might help someone. I have three bolts, six extractors, one locking cam, one magazine, two hammers, and hundreds of firing pins. Oh yeah, and an LMG hammer. Is it worthwhile for me to degrease and log all these firing pins to see if they would help someone match up a rifle? How would I post the results to see if it helps someone?

BRDow

I am new as well. My Johnson all of a sudden began to go full auto. Suggestions as a remedy have been the spring. Do you have an extra spring for sale. Joe Berg AEIWW@aol.com

Speak to Joe Scott about this. A new mainspring is probably a good move but there may be another underling reason too.

Joe has a post this week entitled 'Hurricane Refugee' - poor guy keeps getting hit by hurricanes

I am new as well. My Johnson all of a sudden began to go full auto. Suggestions as a remedy have been the spring. Do you have an extra spring for sale. Joe Berg AEIWW@aol.com

Joe, I haven't yet seen this problem on a Johnson, but I have dealt with it on M1, M14, FN49, FAL and a few others. On the M1 and M14 it is usually a bad hammer, often the result of overzealous attempts to improve the trigger pull by stoning the 'hooks'. You might want to examine your hammer carefully for a worn or chipped edge on the sear surfaces. On the FN 49 it is due to the firing pin being to heavy and the firing pin spring being too weak to prevent slam fire. A heavier firing pin spring or a spacer to pre-compress the spring fixes the problem. The Johnson firint pin is heavier than that of most rifles, so I wonder if it has the FN49 problem. There has to be a reason Johnson made those three expensive little radius cuts in the firing pin. If th hammer looks good, I would try an improvised spacer ahead of the firing pin spring or a new spring.

The firing pin spring on the Johsson is positioned on the firing pin by a crimped-on ring. I have seen these loosen up and slide to the rear. Is yours by any chance loose? I have both the hammer spring and the firing pin spring, but perhaps with a little investigation you can resolve the problem before spending money.

Did you perchance just switch to a different brand of ammo or a different primer in reloads? That would be a clue that it is the 'FN49' problem. Primers vary considerably in sensitivity between brands, and some will get aroused by litlte carresses that others will ignore. For semi-auto's I use WLR, Rem 9 1/2 or CCI 34's, not Federals or the standard CCI's.

I have found and fixed a half-dozen typo's in tihis. Hope I got 'em all. Please forgive any remaining.

Bruce

Did your M1941 go "full auto" or just double fire? Latter could be from loosely shouldering rifle and bump firing.

Just a thought, Mike

Speak to Joe Scott about this. A new mainspring is probably a good move but there may be another underling reason too.

Joe has a post this week entitled 'Hurricane Refugee' - poor guy keeps getting hit by hurricanes

Joe Scott had recommended change the spring among other items. This seems the easiest way to start. Joe Berg