Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Southard

Pictures of Recently-Purchased JSAR

6 posts in this topic

I recently posted a message seeking information on a recently-purchased JSAR. Thanks for the information - it really helps. Some of the parts match (hammer, hammer block, barrel, magazine), others do not (locking cam, bolt, extractor, firing pin).

Attached are some pictures of that new JSAR. As indicated in my initial post, the metal is in pretty good shape but the buttstock was cracked and repaired, with the repair evidently accompanied by some sanding and a coat of varnish.

What do you guys think of this thing?

post-469-1220681670_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682651_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682658_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682665_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682681_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682688_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682696_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682713_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682727_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682734_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682758_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682771_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682781_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682790_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682796_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682804_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682812_thumb.jpg

post-469-1220682829_thumb.jpg

Okay ... Getting nervous that no-one has replied to my post ... Any reaction to this piece? The stock has definitely been refinished. Does everything else look legit? Let me know if the photos are too small and I'll take more (will take them outside this time - took these indoors and it threw the color off a bit).

As far as I can tell your Johnson 1941 Rifle appears all original. Do not worry that it does not have the laminated cheek pieces. It may indicate it was an early made stock. The laminated stocks were possibly a cost cutting step,adopted later in the manufacturing process. The only modification that I spotted, was that the original peep sight, was filed down to a V sight(for faster target acquisition). Joseph Scott(of this site) can fix you up, I believe, with a new peep sight if you want. You could of course, keep the old filed down sight, but the rifle would be back to a more original format, with a peep sight.

Bruce Canfield in his book "JOHNSON RIFLES AND MACHINE GUNS" covers this sight modification, by some of the Marine's, who used the Johnson 1941 Rifle in WWII. This book is a must read if you do not have it. TomW

I reviewed your pictures again, after I posted the reply, & noticed you do have Bruce Canfields book.

Does the crack in the stock appear to be closed permanently? Or is it still open. It might be wise, to consider buying a replacement stock from Joseph Scott. Firing it, with the crack may open & split & further damage the original stock. It would allow you to enjoy shooting the weapon, but do no further harm to the original stock. The great looking stocks from Joseph are quite reasonable in price. I bought a set from him, refinished it & use it on one of my rifle's. It looks great & unless you take off the butt plate(to check out the 3 holes) it appears original. Your original can go back on, if you ever sell it.

Do I notice marking's on the bayonet ring? It also appears original. Do you have a photograph of the scabbard?

You noted a repaired stock crack....however, the crack in the pictures appears to be quite substantial ( the location grip/wrist)...regardless of repair quality

You noted a repaired stock crack....however, the crack in the pictures appears to be quite substantial ( the location grip/wrist)...regardless of repair quality

yes, Art and Tom - the crack is a doozie. It extends from the screw above the trigger guard back and upward, ending about an inch behind the inlet for the bolt stop plate (never comes up past the side though). With the stock removed, looking down at the buttstock with your right hand on the pistol grip, the crack basically runs the length of the exterior right wall of the inlet. Someone did a decent job of repairing it with what appears to be a thin brass nail and glue (you can't even tell from the inside), and then varnished over the whole bit. You can still see the indentations from the vise that was used.

Tom - I do have Canfield's book. Good eye. And yes, it came with a bayo. Numbered 2303. No sheath for came with this one unfortunately (the other one I bought has both the bayo and the sheath - will post pics of that when I pick it up), but I am willing to bet it is back at the sellers house somewhere . . . .

Can I shoot with that stock? Seems iffy to me . . .

Thanks again guys - I am really liking this thing.