Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Southard

Additional Markings on Bolt

3 posts in this topic

There are 3 additional numbers on the bolt of my rifle.

"1" above "2" above what appears to be "7" (the 7 is a poor strike, but I believe that's what it is).

You can see them in the attached photo, just below the serial number on the bolt.

Anyone seen these before? Any guidance / guesswork on how they came to be?

post-469-1221503019_thumb.jpg

Dave,

The 1,2 and others are "progress" inspection marks. In the armaments trade (I worked in the UK during the mid-80's in such) once a component has completed one stage in its progress in the production line it is inspected and gauged. If that machining operation passes this 'progress inspection' it passes to the next stage, and so on. Each stage being marked as passed with a number stamp.

There are a number of variations on the stampings but generally they all follow the same stamping pattern.

Dave,

The 1,2 and others are "progress" inspection marks. In the armaments trade (I worked in the UK during the mid-80's in such) once a component has completed one stage in its progress in the production line it is inspected and gauged. If that machining operation passes this 'progress inspection' it passes to the next stage, and so on. Each stage being marked as passed with a number stamp.

There are a number of variations on the stampings but generally they all follow the same stamping pattern.

Thanks - That explains it nicely. Also would explain similar marks on the unfinished portion of the stock, to the rear of the magazine.