Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adriaan de Jong

JSAR no. 1505

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

my Name is Adriaan de Jong, I'am Dutch, live in Germany and am a collector of Dutch Army Rifles. Allthough I allready have a Number of Hembrug and Beaumont Rifles, the Crown in my collection is still missing: a Johnson M1941.

It's hard to find in Europe, they are not on the Market often.

Finally I found one, and am working very hard on the owner to sell it to me.

The serial nr is 1505, the Rifle was originally imported from Australia as far as the current owner knows.

Could you please give me the Production Details of the Rifle? It would be good to know if it still is in the original condition since it left the factory in Cranston.

One more question: is there a way to find out if this Rifle was in the Shipment of 2000 Rifles that made it to the Dutch Indies before the Japanese Army came in? In the Dutch Literature this question is open, since the Paperwork seems missing. Has any Information about this Shipment surfaced since the Publication of the Dutch Books?

Thanks in advance

Adriaan de Jong

Adriaan,

It is unknown whether the rifle was shipped in the consignments that went to the KNIL in NEI prior to the Japanese invasion. I have (somewhere) the details of which ships the rifles were transported upon and I believe later diverted to Australia after the Jap invasion.

Details for JSAR : 1505

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : 11/10/41

Stock Type: (Not Listed)

Barrel # 2038A

Hammer Block # 1890

Hammer # 1620

Bolt # 2067

Locking Cam # 1103

Firing Pin # 3365

Extractor # 1296

Magazine # 9700

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 11/14/41

Contract : Government of Chile

Thanks for your fast reply, it's very helpfull.

I will search more in Detail, also to the shipments to the KNIL army, when I get the Rifle.

One thing in advance: the Serial number information mentions the Chili contract. The Rifle was build in 1941, wasn't the Chili Contract in 1943?

Does this mean the Rifle stayed at the JSAR under the embargo and was later sold to Chile?

Adriaan

The Chilean contract ran at around the same time as the NPC one. The rifles to Chile are mixed throughout the NPC rifles but the contract seems to have been completed sooner than the Dutch one.

A lot of books state that the Chilean contract came after the Dutch one, however documentation shows that this is not the case. All JSAR contract work was completed by May of 1943 as that is when the M1917 barrel contract work started for US Army Ordnance.

Thanks a lot for this Information Jim.

I will get back when I have acquired the Rifle. That will take a lot of smooth talking, but when I get it the pleasure of owning a Johnson will be even greater :)

Adriaan

Jim, one more question:

does the fact that this Rifle comes from the Chilean contract mean it should be in 7 mm?

Sofar I read about the Rifles only that they are in 7 mm, but which cartridge is not clear to me. Was it the 7x57 ?

thanks

Adriaan

No this rifle is part of the NPC contract and will be in .30-'06.

The way the rifles were produced was such that there was no specific NPC or Chilean contract batches. If the A and B series logs were available it would show that rifles were made non-sequentially.

The way rifles were allocated to what contract is still a mystery with no logical pattern.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0