Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
REISINGSTAR

My new Johnson & replacement barrels

7 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

After several years of saving and looking,I was able to acquire JAR ser# 2227.It is still in military configuration,but has seen some heavy use(but not abuse).The barrel is shiney,but with worn rifling,and significant muzzle wear.It barely retains the bullet of an upside down .30-06 ball round.The rifle shoots reliably,but keyholes rounds at 100 yds with about a 10" group.I suspect severe throat erosion,but do not have a gauge.Fortunately,the price was right!

First,any information on this serial #2227 would be greatly appreciated.Second,does anyone have,or know of,a decent shootable barrel they would want to sell? Also,any other ideas to improve accuracy would be greatly appreciated.BTW,I was shooting Lake City Ball ammo from CMP.

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Harry,

I have/had to same Problem as you: the original Barrel is not good enough to shoot. Finding an original Barrel in a good enough condition to shoot is not easy. If you find one, they're not cheap either. Important for me was: do I really want to shoot out an original Barrel or do I buy a reproduction Barrel for shooting and save the original for the next generation?

If you want a Barrel just for Shooting: contact Joe Scott and buy a brand new Barrel from him. I just did this, the Price is right and Joe is a nice Guy to deal with. You can then shoot as much as you like and don't have to worry about your scarce original.

What I also did: bought a new main spring and an extractor. The original main spring almost certainly became to weak/short and should be replaced to prevent damage to the rifle. For shooting I wil also remove the original extractor and put in the spare one. If it breaks(which is seldom but can happen), then it's better to break a reproduction than the original belonging to the rifle.

I hope to get the Barrel and spare parts in the weeks to come and can't wait for the opportunity to shoot my Johnson :)

Adriaan

Harry,

I have/had to same Problem as you: the original Barrel is not good enough to shoot. Finding an original Barrel in a good enough condition to shoot is not easy. If you find one, they're not cheap either. Important for me was: do I really want to shoot out an original Barrel or do I buy a reproduction Barrel for shooting and save the original for the next generation?

If you want a Barrel just for Shooting: contact Joe Scott and buy a brand new Barrel from him. I just did this, the Price is right and Joe is a nice Guy to deal with. You can then shoot as much as you like and don't have to worry about your scarce original.

What I also did: bought a new main spring and an extractor. The original main spring almost certainly became to weak/short and should be replaced to prevent damage to the rifle. For shooting I wil also remove the original extractor and put in the spare one. If it breaks(which is seldom but can happen), then it's better to break a reproduction than the original belonging to the rifle.

I hope to get the Barrel and spare parts in the weeks to come and can't wait for the opportunity to shoot my Johnson :)

Adriaan

Adriaan,

Thanks for the good advice.A reproduction barrel would be a great idea.I am new to these boards.How would I contact Mr.Scott?

Harry

Harry,

I have sent you a PM with his e-mail Address.

greetings

Adriaan

I bought one of Joe's replacement barrels to preserve my original. Excellent work and a fair price. Functions perfectly. ;)

I bought one of Joe's replacement barrels to preserve my original. Excellent work and a fair price. Functions perfectly. ;)

Thanks,

I am on the waiting list and eager to get mine.Thanks for the positive report.

Harry