Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulo5656

presentation rifle

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1941 with a presentation plate entitled"Lt.Com. W.vanHaaften" on the first line and"Dec.1943" on the second line.Does anyone have any information on this particular 1941?

A serial number of the rifle may assist research a little better.

The number is B6937.Thanks for the help.

Paulo,

the name W. van Haaften is definitely a Dutch name, so I think that's where you have to start looking.("Haaften" ist the name of a small village just a few miles from my Birthplace, "Van Haaften" means a person who comes from(=van) Haaften)

As for the rank "Lt.Com." , I am at a loss. I do not know the ranks in the Dutch Army/Navy/Kolonial Army well enough to know where it belongs to.

If you want to find out who Lt.Com. Van Haaften was, you will have to search in the Netherlands. If you want to, I will be glad to help you. Allthough I live in Germany, I am Dutch and can place some phonecalls to get you on the right track. Please send me a picture of the Rifle and off the presentation plate, that would make life easier.

If you want to give it a try on your own, here are two e-mail addresses where you can start(these are those where I would start asking to get in the right direction):

- The Dutch Institute for Military History: nimh@mindef.nl

- The Dutch Army Museum: M.willemse@legermuseum.nl

There are quite a handfull of organisations where the information about Van Haaften could be in the archives, one of the two above should be able to show you in the right direction.

Good luck and please feel free to ask me if you need any help

greetings

Adriaan de Jong

ps

The person in the link from Tim is not the one you are looking for.