Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmetoday

Great Site and First Johnson

3 posts in this topic

First of all ... KUDOS to the those who started and who have maintain this site. It is Not easy and IS, most often, thankless. GOOD JOB! It is one of the Best, most professional, specialty gun sites out there. You certainly can tell when you are dealing with collectors who have a passion and are willing to share information. THANKS!

My first Johnson, I owned for 45 minutes. In 1976/7ish, I found a B-prefix serial number Johnson, about half of the way through a gun show, when I lived in PA. As I neared the last rows, an "old man" ...probably 60ish -ok - I was about 27, asked what I wanted for the Gun. I said that I had just bought it and it was not for sale. He asked: "Would you take .... ?" I said, that the amount was more than I had paid for the Johnson, but it was not for sale. He increased the amount, I declined and continued through the show. Every aisle I would run into him and he would either increase the offer or just look at the gun. As I was about to leave, he offered me just under 4 times what I had paid for it. I sold MY Johnson!

I wondered what kind of nut would spend THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY ON A Johnson.

Since then, with moves, more school, kids, and life, I would always look at JSAR's but never bought one. The more the prices rose, the more I missed my first Johnson. About a year ago, the son of a gun shop owner buddy, who also owns a gun shop, bought a really nice A-prefix Johnson. After a little negotiation, I was able to finally replace the original Johnson, some 36 years later. It is great and gorgeous and I am very well pleased. But you know, I am still left wondering, what kind of a nut would spend THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY ON A JOHNSON! But, this "old man" is also glad he did.

Since this is a bit long, a question will be posted also.

Welcome aboard! After kicking myself for 27 years, for passing up one when I could have afforded it, I was able to finally pick up mine. Albeit a Winfield Sporter...It's still a Johnson.

Congrats!,

Being from the Great White North... we had to endure the overwatch of a gun registry (2 Billion $ - getting scrapped as we speak).

Anyways - under this cloud I was handed my Johnson by someone who was afraid of being in possession without a permit – someone who was handed the rifle from an unknown vet and who made a promise to not hand it in to be destroyed.

I never had plans to keep it, I thought I’d pass it on to a collector etc (never knowing the rarity or value) The rifle spent a year or two in my gun cabinet before I started researching it and the more I looked the more I became intrigued.

I have to admit that it is probably my favorite shooter, and it’s a lot of fun going to the shooting range and having the best “toy”.

Enjoy