6lksdrew

1941 Johnson Semi Auto. New. Need Mag Spring

4 posts in this topic

Ok so here is my story. I had an awesome grandfather who was a Marine OSS officer, gunnery Sargent Robert LaSalle, who specialized in low altitude parachute drops.  After his time over seas he came home and purchase a new Iver Johnson Rifle. Never fired it. Polish, oil, closet. Repeat for 50 years. This gun is 99%. The 99 comes from the fact that I was showing it to a buddy the other day and he depressed the mag dust cover a few times and, clink. Spring broke. So this post is 2 fold. I am looking for a new mag dust cover spring. And 2, I don't want the gun anymore. I'll never fire it. It doesn't even have rack marks bc it hasn't been cocked all but 10-20 times. It's beautful.  My grandfather never fired it. So I have no sentimental attachment. Because of its rare condition I'm looking for around $7500.00. if your interested, w or wo the broken mag spring let me know what you think. image.jpeg

eBay is your best bet for finding the spring to fix your rifle, but Sarco or Numrich might have one. Your rifle is beautiful, but it is not an Iver Johnson and it is almost certainly not one that was used by the US Military. It is a Winfield Sporterized 1941 Johnson that was most likely purchased in the 1950s from a mail order ad in a gun magazine. Winfield marketed these rifles to budget minded hunters and target shooters and because the original rifle was very heavy and considered a bit ugly, a large percentage were modified to appeal to the market. Winfield imported these rifles from Holland through Canada and offered them in several versions from original parkerized military to high polished/blue, with original stocks or a lighter Sporterized stock, with original military barrels (with bayonet lugs) or aftermarket barrels with a ramped front sight and no bayonet lug. Some even came with Weaver scopes. The one you have looks like an original barrel, but the original rough-texture Parkerized finish was replaced with a high gloss blue that prevents it from ever being restored to original military appearance. As far as the stock, if there is a cross bolt behind the pistol grip, it may be original, though the light finish would indicate otherwise. The sporter stock has a wood plug in the right side where they covered the cross bolt pin and a rubber butt pad that would have deteriorated considerably by now. Pricewise, I am sorry to disappoint, but $7.500 is pretty much the upper end for an all original rifle. Winfield sporters go for about 1/2 that much. These rifles are extremely rare and have gone up in price, including the sporters. You may want to consider keeping it?

THanks so much! I know little about the rifle. This is an eye opener. However some more details. Defiantly no rubber butt ever on this gun. Has original checkered steel back. Also it does have a cross bolt behind pistol grip. And the barrel is not blued it's a very dull or matte black. The magazine and heat shroud are polished black. Serial number is 6896. Fairly low I figure. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm guessing I have a Winfield deluxe military model. Which came with a new barrel, new military stock, and a blued parts. Although I'm used to blueing being...blue. This gun just looks like polished black. Anyway. Here's a little price of history. So better question is what's she worth knowing all this now?image.jpeg