Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huskytim2008

Leather Spare Magazine Carrier

5 posts in this topic

Hi , the 1941 Johnson LMG, Spare Mag Carrier is finished. I made all the suspension, load bearing straps and swivels so it can be used with a web belt. I am aging the leather and will apply a satin finish when I am satisfied with a even patina on all the surfaces. I will be making a insert that will separate the 20 round magazines and keep them from slapping around in the compartment. The last picture shows a magazine and a 1943 Springfield, Randall, 8" knife for a scale comparison. Here are some pictures! I will update the carrier backpack when I am finished with the magazine separation rack I am fabricating. ---Tim

DSC01767.JPG

DSC01770.JPG

DSC01771.JPG

DSC01768.JPG

Really, really, nice work! So, when do you set up production?

Art, After spending many painstaking hours drilling all those 1/16" holes, hand stitching and using a flashlight to pull the needles in the inside where both hands have to reach in the bottom of a 5" wide leather carrier, I can see why only one prototype was ever made! A short pair of needle nose pliers is what is used to grasp the 2" long needle and pull it through two layers of heavy leather (10 ounce). The stitching thread is one piece with two needles, often 8-10 feet long and sometimes creates a bird nest which you carefully have to unravel and not break! Once you are committed to the task there is no turning back. This will be the only one I will make. I am going back to making my knives ..... it is far more sane! ---Tim

Really amazing leather work thank you for posting pictures

You had said before it would be hand stitched, so that is why I joked about going into production. Truly, an amazing and nice reproduction. I think the JSAR father would have been ultra proud of the effort and result. Kudos!