eb in oregon

JSAR on GunBroker

15 posts in this topic

Seems a decent rifle (though missing at least one screw cap on the forend) and I had a conversation with the seller who seems honest and upfront. Art thinks it's a Chilean rifle (bolt numbers match receiver in records) with a 30.06 barrel. S/N 5037

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893661151

Eb

If you are thinking the forward 'hole' on the right side of the forestock, that is where one inserts a bullet point or other object to release the barrel release lever. While there are now more photos, they are not of the greatest quality. Though it still looks like a decent gun, I cannot attest to market value.

23 hours ago, ArtR said:

Eb

If you are thinking the forward 'hole' on the right side of the forestock, that is where one inserts a bullet point or other object to release the barrel release lever. While there are now more photos, they are not of the greatest quality. Though it still looks like a decent gun, I cannot attest to market value.

My mistake, I got my sides mixed up. I'm still a'learning. And it's a sellers market, it's all about how bad that itch is and how hard one wants to scratch. And sometimes, sometimes, we scratch when we shouldn't.

And the gentleman selling the rifle and I have been exchanging emails. He explained when he purchased the rifle it had a barrel he suspected was made from a 1903 barrel, and it wasn't the best of jobs. He found an original JSAR barrel and replaced that barrel and then sold the fabricated barrel to a collector that wanted it. He also said he has shot a bunch of 30.06 in it, it works well and in the past was disassembled and inspected by a 'smith who was very familiar with the JSAR and it was determined to be in excellent and serviceable condition. He did crab a tiny bit about it "throws brass a country mile" which isn't such a bad crab as military rifles aren't made to be nice to or save brass.

If you read any or watch any reviews/videos, JSAR's are notorious for flinging brass. Better that than not letting it go.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:33 PM, ArtR said:

If you read any or watch any reviews/videos, JSAR's are notorious for flinging brass. Better that than not letting it go.

I just took my JSAR out and shot both the sporter barrel that came with it and an acquired military barrel. It was reasonably accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

I did have a problem with brass extraction. I think the brass was extracted but where it was extracted to is a bit of a mystery. Out of 20 fired shots we found two brass cases... a new recoil spring has been ordered. 

On 3/2/2021 at 6:33 PM, ArtR said:

Art, I have no problem with anything flinging brass. As a veteran reloader I always place my self on the right side of my clubs covered range when recovering my brass is a priority. And when shooting elsewhere either shoot something where I don't care or erect a tarp. But then after years of being a brass scrounger I've enough that if I loose some it's not that big a deal anymore. And as you mentioned, better the brass exit smartly than not.

I suggest a large cardboard box, set up adjacent t to the firing position....I do that frequently and it catches 99% of my brass and I do not have to hunt/search for it. Simple but efficient.

If you really want to see brass fly, a swedish Ljungman can really toss them, and the Ljungman action can make Garand thumb look like a pin prick.

1 hour ago, Blueheeler said:

If you really want to see brass fly, a swedish Ljungman can really toss them, and the Ljungman action can make Garand thumb look like a pin prick.

Yes, and it's brother the Hakim is the same. And it beats brass to death if you fail to adjust the gas regulator.

1 hour ago, Blueheeler said:

You are absolutely correct with this statement.  I have some scars to prove it and a couple of witnesses!   

55 minutes ago, camstuff said:

You are absolutely correct with this statement.  I have some scars to prove it and a couple of witnesses!   

I've had a Hakim, and when working the action and seeing how it worked I never saw the need to stick a finger in there. Violent would be a good description.

I owned a Jungman, I sold it and I probably shouldn’t have but only so much room in the gun safe... I adapted a screw to swap for the front gas port cleanout screw to reduce the gas going back to the bolt carrier. Instead of just being an access port to the gas system for cleaning, I used a longer screw with an angle filed into it. This partly blocked the gas return path which reduced the speed of the bolt carrier and made brass life increase. You could turn the screw slightly to vary the amount of gas or just experiment with different angles on different screws. It worked really well and I got it so I could drop the brass in a pile out at 3 O’clock. I wasn’t going to war with it so it was a decent modification.
Would not want to stick my hand anywhere near that action, Garand Thumb, bad, Jungman Missing Fingers... worse!

Sounds like a great idea! Will have to look into this option. 

8 hours ago, camstuff said:

Sounds like a great idea! Will have to look into this option. 

Theres a lot of info out there on this at gunboards , the screw is an odd metric size, but available on the web. I've been meaning to do this myself, so now I'm feeling motivated and might get going on this this week.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:09 AM, Blueheeler said:

Theres a lot of info out there on this at gunboards , the screw is an odd metric size, but available on the web. I've been meaning to do this myself, so now I'm feeling motivated and might get going on this this week.

It was an easy thing to do. I had to take the Jungmann to a gunsmith to get the gas clean out screw loose because mine was pretty well on and I was living by the idea that fixing things is easier if you don’t screw it up first. (Mark Novak Pat pending). 

Then I bought five of the screws online and filed one at a diagonal and one at a point just at the full length of the screw then another one that I shortened slightly then pointed it and a third that was shorter still at a point again. Thus I had four options at the range. I eventually went with one of the pointed ones. It wasn’t adjustable but you could just tighten it home and make a Mark on the screw and the gas block and know that it was tight by a glance. The adjustable one was neat but I was worried it would loosen itself up. A locking nut would have solved this but I failed to order one for the weird thread.