Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eb in oregon

CMP Information

4 posts in this topic

Also valid for our 1941 JSAR's.

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program

Revised warning:

Dear CMP Family,

The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.

This warning is an update/addition to the Ammunition section in the Read This First manual enclosed with each rifle shipment (M1 Garand manual-page 6 and M1903 manual-page 10).

Civilian Marksmanship Program

I reload for my M1 Garand and for my 1941 Johnson Rifle  nice easy pressure loads for both rifles  never had any problems for the many years i reloaded  and shot  these rifles

I too load/reload most all my cartridges for most all my rifles. Even when doing DCM/CMP matches, when provided the 172 gr match ammo, I declined in favor of either 147, 150, and 168 gr loads. While many shot the 172 gr match loads, they did no better than many who shot the 168 gr and lower bullets. The 168 and 172 only seemed to perform better on really strong, windy days at 600 or more yards.  At ranges of 400 yards or less, in the hands of a good rifleman, the 147-150 gr bullets do just fine.