Imgone

Out of battery or slam fire ?

9 posts in this topic

Took my rifle to the range today, I usually take her out once a year and put about 60 rounds thru her. I had fired about 15 rounds and got a stove pipe. Cleared it and fired about 10 more rounds, pulled the trigger and got two fast bangs. There where two shells jammed together in the chamber. I pulled them out and removed the barrel to make sure it was clear. I put it back together and fired off at least 10 more rounds with no issues. I was shooting HXP 76. Also fired about 100 rounds of the same ammo out of my Garand, with no issues. The first photo shows how the rounds where in the chamber, the other two show the rounds. I will break her down this weekend, anything specific I should look at ? Think it was just a fluke, ammo issue or rifle problem ?

unnamed-5.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

I had a JSAR that would slam fire and after some help from some experts here on the forum, found the the spring and small round washer on the firing pin were not attached properly.  Once fixed, no more slam fires.  My brass never connected like yours.

Also check the extractor and ejector assembly. A worn or stuck (dirty) ejector or extractor could also cause stove pipes.

looking at my brass today, it looks like it was a problem most of the day. So out of about 40 rounds I fired, 9 have the same damage. And I don't know if I picked up all my brass. 

unnamed-2.jpg

Again, I strongly suggest checking extractor, ejector

24 minutes ago, ArtR said:

Again, I strongly suggest checking extractor, ejector

Yes thank you I will.

HXP is good ammo. I'm a bit concerned as you seem to describe a "double" - two shots with one pull of the trigger-that could indicate a FCG problem.

Secondly, you brass is getting really beat up -as suggested, your ejector and extractor need to be looked at.

Well after taking the rifle apart and inspecting the parts, I realized that the screw in the bottom of the stock, right behind the rotary magazine had backed out some. I thought it felt loose when firing it but I had not handled it in a year, so I guess I didn't realize it. I figure this was the problem as everything else looks good.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:27 PM, Imgone said:

Imgone -- I can't BELIEVE you actually fired more rounds after that incident. You are lucky you are not really "gone"!  But I hope you get it fixed by a professional, that is a scary scary situation!