WHIG

My M1941 Finally Arrived After Difficult FED EX Delivery

6 posts in this topic

Well I can say that I am officially a member of the elite group of Johnson Model 1941 collectors. Thanks to what I learned on this site and Camstuff's generous assistance. I have a lot of mil surp collecting experience but, as you know, every rifle needs to be examined by its own history and standards. The Johnson is really in a separate class as this goes. I have seen too many so called "collectors" buy something at a ridiculous price, join a forum for that firearm and post their first time saying "I bought such and such for this (expensive) price. How'd I do?" Most of the time we respond by listing the many reasons why they got ripped off.

But, I do think I was fortunate. Price was not a steal but I believe I got a legit Johnson that has been unaltered and can be classified as still in full military configuration. I will be carefully stripping it down and taking a few pictures this snowy weekend and returning it to a more clean and lubricated condition on reassembly.

The Fed Ex story is too long and frustrating to write out. I'm still working on follow up. Turns out that our local (45 miles away) ground Fed Ex hub had an employee who noticed my rifle package was insured for $10,000 and stole it. My wife and I drove to the facility personally to pick it up and it wasn't there. No one could find it. We all searched for over half an hour. Disappeared. Short version- It turned up 2 hours later amazingly right near where it should have been in the first place. Whoever stole it knew that they were going to be checking the cameras and they put it back. We got it and the rifle package was unopened and the Johnson undamaged. I am an FFL dealer and am reporting this incident to the feds later today. It needs to be investigated with what happened. Last month, this same facility "lost" 5 pounds of gun powder I had bought from Powder Valley. Took them a week to "find" it. Hazmat expense is supposed to cause these packages to be tracked and followed more carefully than regular packages. It's all a scam to make more money. They don't care.

But, the Johnson has a good resting place. It will be treated well and maintained and shot with TLC. I love reloading for and shooting all of my Mil surp firearms!

More to come with pictures. Alway exciting to get a new treasure and clean it up well. BTW, the bore is pristine according to my Hawkeye Borescope exam. It also still has cosmoline on it that I need to clean.

Thanks!

WHIG

Sent PM to you...Check upper right corner of this page for the Envelope ICON.

ArtR

Welcome to the family, looking forward to seeing the pics of your JSAR!

Frank

Anxious to see the pictures!  Glad it finally arrived. 

Glad you finally got it! I also have had "issues" with them over many years. Personally and professionally. I will not use them unless they are the last resort. :angry2: