ArtR

Two more ....also on RIA with 0067

7 posts in this topic

B1483 is advertised as a Chilean. So what struck me was that since this a B series, did the 1000 rifles that Chile ordered span all three series of serial numbers? So I consulted he book.  Canfield mentions in the book that most of the Chilean’s had very low serial numbers (no letter prefix).  So I’m kind of thinking that B1483 may not be a true Chilean, but perhaps just happens to have the 7mm barrel.   If people believe that this is a Chilean, maybe it will have a lower bid. Why?  Because Chilean JSAR’s seem to sell for less then the 30-06 rifles.   I kind of see an opportunity to buy this one at a low reasonable price, put an original barrel back on it for later resale. 

By the way, do any of you keepers of the Johnson logs taken the time to count the Chile rifles? And any other dispositions.  If not, I’m willing to put some time in and take a count to see where the actual Chilean number falls within the non prefix logs.  However, I’m not a keeper of the logs.   (It’s probably possible that Canfield has done this already)  

Hi

You are correct to suspect that this rifle may well be just a JSAR with a 7mm barrel. There are many that will just assume that because it has a 7mm barrel, that it must be Chilean. You were correct to consult the Canfield book and get information. Canfield, Lamoureux, and Johnson, had all researched and gathered information for the book.

There are others, especially those looking for a quick sale and possibly a quick buck, who will grasp at any straw to boost the sale. As you have  already seen, some will grasp at a 'low SN' and claim it was one of the earliest rifles made/assembled in order to boost the price/sale. But there are those of us who have seen the actual logs and have seen the randomness of the production process.

Others have read that only 1000 were made for Chile, and using the same logic, they will say that they are rare...I.E., only 1000 of twenty some odd thousand produced, therefore they must be more valuable.

As for the non-prefix logs of the Chilean rifles, I can look and see what I might find.

ArtR

I sent an email to Navy Arms sometime back to ask about the importation of the Chilean rifles. I never heard back. I would think they would have the records for the rifles they brought back? Does anyone know if today's Navy Arms Co. is in anyway related to the Navy Arms Co. of the 1970's - 1980's. So many of the old arms manufacturers and/or firearms related companies exist today in name only. 

It seems irresponsible for RIA to state that rifle serial numbered B1483 is a Chilean contract rifle and have no documentation to support the claim. Is this how a "reputable" auction house does business?

They all have disclaimers saying that they are not responsible for mis-statements or errors in listings. They also say no returns, buyer beware and know what you are bidding on. No real responsibility for errors, made up or non-intentional. They often print what the seller tells them about the firearm.

I have actually made some nice purchases over the years from a couple auction houses that printed errors in their item description and I knew enough to see the difference in the pictures. It can work both ways! I do agree buyer beware knowing that there is mis-representation all the time. They don't care with the millions they make off of these auctions!

"It seems irresponsible for RIA to state that rifle serial numbered B1483 is a Chilean contract rifle and have no documentation to support the claim. Is this how a "reputable" auction house does business?"

As no production records exist for the letter prefixed JSAR's it is impossible to actually determine if that rifle is an actual Chilean or not. While the records exist for the non-prefixed serial numbers merely going through those won't necessarily answer the question or not. I'm not about to go through the entire production log available and try to count 1,000 rifles, first of all because if one counts 950 there is absolutely no way to either prove or disprove the remaining 50.

After seeing this rifle still being posted, and at an extremely high BIN price, I truly hope that any potential buyer ask/demand to receive genuine provenance about sellers claims of authenticity. Some of the 'item description' appears to be cookie cutter info pulled from some other old like item descriptions. Knowing what I do know from non-prefix production logs, one claim in particular is truly highly suspicious. Other web team members may have also picked up on the claim. I will not list here, as seller might see and try and change the item description. Buyer beware!