ArtR

Rifle disposition was other than J.A. Inc. - N.P.C.

10 posts in this topic

Camstuff posed the following question recently:

"By the way, do any of you keepers of the Johnson logs taken the time to count the Chile rifles? And any other dispositions.  If not, I’m willing to put some time in and take a count to see where the actual Chilean number falls within the non prefix logs.  However, I’m not a keeper of the logs.   (It’s probably possible that Canfield has done this already)  "

I had done something similar recently, resulting in the discovery of the 24th Marine rifle.

I just 'rechecked' the non-prefix logs to my previous list and came up with the following where rifle disposition was  other than J.A. Inc. - N.P.C.

* Wilby is Gen. Wilby

Screenshot from 2022-03-29 18-06-26.png

Well, that pretty much entails that letter prefixed JSAR's went to Chile.

Wow, this is interesting Art, the numbers are surprising!  Thanks for doing this. 

An even more interesting fact is the distribution across the field of non-prefix numbers. With the exception of the first 8 to the "Gov of Chile", 187 were distributed fairly evenly and quite randomly across the range 1000 to 7200. Considering some comments that I have made in the past regarding J.A. Inc. production practices, it strongly lends credence to the fact that the A and B series receivers were in use very early on in the production process, and more than probably, with similar randomness. However, lacking both these logs, this is again mere speculation. But then again, it could also lead to some speculation about whether or not the full complement of 1000  ordered  was even shipped to Chile. Without the A & B logs, it is full on speculation as to the total number either built or shipped. The only thing that I can think of which might dispute this question, would be the existence of a completed shipping document, invoice, or the like.

So I was going to ask if the Chile rifles were bunched together in the log, but you answered the question already.  So have ever seen a New River or any of the others come through the forum when requesting serial number information?  

I guess I could now say along with some other members that we own one Chile rifle out of the first 187 produced. Not that it really means anything special.  

The JSAR being rare is a large factor in there collector value,  when you can verify a rifle belonging to a subset, that rifle is inherently  more rare and more valuable , I wonder if the low reaction to the Chilean JSARs is what some have alluded to here, that all it seems to take to call something a Chilean is to stick a 7mm bbl on it. If you can document your claim then you have a Chilean rifle, not just a story. How many JSARs were used by the USMC , almost all of them if you trust the story’s. I think I’ve seen 2 or 3 (on line) that authorities here would agree are legit.

With interest in JSARs growing , education in the history should also be growing, when buyers learn that some of these rare correct guns can be verified then the value almost has to increase. Or I could be all wet in which case I’ll help you recoup your cost and take it off your hands.😊

Phil

Being new to this forum and JSARs, I am fascinated by this discussion. I have collected Krags for many years and own a bunch. We have seen a similar situation in Krag collecting whereby a very rare Constabulary Krag carbine, made specifically in the Philippines at the Manila Ordnance Depot for use by Philippine Constabulary forces during the Spanish American War, is often "claimed" by sellers, auction houses and many uneducated collectors and frequently sold at a premium. Almost 100% of these are actually school rifles, made in this country at a couple different facilities including Springfield Armory, which are made to similar specifications with some differences to the real Philippine Constabulary carbine. School rifles were made to be used for training purposes at different military academies and high schools in the 1930s. There is only 1 documented Philippine Constabulary carbine that has been identified in the US. Very rare but most people are accepting of the claims because so few actually know the real difference.

So, the rarity of JSARs automatically makes for few knowledgable experts and the ease to fabricate a couple features on any JSAR to make it into something rarer is not a surprise. Too bad more clear records do not exist to clarify this openly. It's evidently so difficult to verify a true Chilean JSAR that it is even debated amongst experts!

4 hours ago, matconcrete said:

I’ll help you recoup your cost and take it off your hands.😊

Phil

Phil: I’m interested in trading for your LMG!!  Just kidding……sort of.  😁

To my knowledge, only about 27 Non-prefix "Gov of Chile" rifles have either been purchased by forum members or have been seen on auction sites. By the same token, only 3 USMC rifles are known to be in hands of forum members.

All but one of the USMC rifles are listed in the book. When I get a chance, I will 'publish' a document listing the non-prefix SN's which showed as disposition to CHILE>

3 hours ago, ArtR said:

When I get a chance, I will 'publish' a document listing the non-prefix SN's which showed as disposition to CHILE>

That would be a great list to see! I know mine is a Chilean JSAR and I would love to see the numbers around it.